7/10/09

Kerch graffiti

I posted here about the homage to Sarah written on a nearby wall by some unnamed Anton. Since then I have been considering posting some of our other Latin-lettered messages so here are a few along with a guess at the mindset that was behind it. These are all on exterior walls in our neighborhood. Please feel free to guess if you have a theory.

Shoo Roop (peace) Rap... I wish I had something witty to say about this one but I'm stumped. Maybe I should have started with one on which I had some idea. Anyone else?


I like this one - it combines cryptically poor penmanship with an obvious drug reference and a hippie afterthought... very American. I read 'shaml' but I could see some other options too. None of the variations that I see make a word of any sort. At the bottom we have some Cyrillic which could actually come out as Gaw. The 'r' letter is a G but the W shape makes a 'sh' sound.


This 'staff' one is in several places and I don't really know why. I suspect that it was written by someone who heard the word at camp and decided that it sounded cool.


This and the next one are some of my favorites. I am shocked to discover that ODB is alive and well. Perhaps he made it over here after his faked death but someone recognized him.


As mentioned, ODB may not have counted on people in Kerch recognizing him after his 'death.'


Similar hand writing but I'm not sure I know much about the South Dakota rap scene. I'm nearly certain that Wu Tang Clan do not hail from the Great Plains.

5 comments:

  1. knowing that i see that graffiti every day i found this post really interesting for me! i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also unaware of ODB's popularity in the area. Interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember those!!!! some of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judging by this "little jingle", these guys sound pretty "hard":

    https://www.music.t-zones.co.uk/track/Mango_Groove/Jazz_Offerings_from_South_Africa/11502026/&cref=30

    ReplyDelete
  5. The link just cutoff at the end of my post...weird. I'll try and split it up.

    https://www.music.t-zones.co.uk/track/Mango_Groove/Jazz_Offerings

    _from_South_Africa/11502026/&cref=30

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!