3/20/07

Why I feel inferior

Sometimes when I drive around Colorado Springs I wonder, "how do so many people afford $400K homes? What do they do for a living and how, as a relatively intelligent person, has this opportunity eluded me so completely?" Today in a random conversation with my co-worker, I was brought face-to-face with my inferiority. Kacie and I were discussing Internet access at home (which I don't have) and she made reference to her husband Phil "broadcasting" wireless signal to one of their neighbors. The limit of my understanding of wireless technology lies somewhere between nil and knowing that it is available at Panera Bread, so I was very impressed. She directed me to his blog post in which he explains and rates the "cantenna" that he uses for this purpose.

I mention this as a telling example of why I shouldn't be terribly confused by the success of others. People like Phil have what is known as a "marketable skill", whereas I am marginally capable and a purveyor of semi-interesting trivia. I guess society is much like the body of Christ. People like Phil are the cerebellum or central nervous system while some of us have to be the appendix or tonsils; useful to an extent but once removed, not greatly missed.

9 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that you should feel inferior. Having a mortgage on a $400k house is not a good measure of success. Housing your family without being house-poor is. Also, I'm not sure that the ability to transmit wi-fi to a neighbor's house is marketable beyond the 100 foot limit. Besides, I suspect you're more like the middle toe in the body of Christ, hairy and maybe visible only on really sunny days, but necessary for balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously disturbed that I am taking that as a complement. I actually have always sort of prided myself on being utilitarian (vs attractive), like my truck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already shared with Matt that I find this post sadly disturbing, especially since my husband is the Phil he's referring to. While I do agree that Phil is quite possibly the smartest, most cool problem-solving person I know (and is easily my favorite person in the world), his mad skillz with the Cantenna are not better than Matt's mad truck skillz, just different. The point of the whole body analogy is that each part of the body of Christ (or each member of society) is just as important as any other, but each person/part is important for different reasons or skillz. I know Matt meant this as a joke, so sorry to make it all serious and boring, but it's true! All of this to say that I agree that Phil is spectacular, but all of us are, too, in our own unique ways. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and for the record, Phil's house that hosts the Cantenna is not even close to a $400K house. $400K houses in Colorado Springs are ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Kacie, I didn't mean to imply that you’re house is $400K. I meant that Phil has a level of marketability that seems to elude me and the inordinate number of houses at this price level is the catalyst that causes me to think about my inherent lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, the high comment level on this post does not provide an incentive not to post self-deprecating commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, even the smartest person in my world (Phil, of course) has things that elude him. Thankfully, he's human, even though sometimes I have a hard time believing he is because he's so incredibly intelligent and resourceful (and it would be more profitable financially for us if he wasn't totally human and sometimes eluded like the rest of us). But, I know what you meant by the original post and I'm sure Phil is honored that he is doing things that elude you and me. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! The cantenna is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I'd like to comment on my blog tomorrow on this topic ($, etc). Thanks for the shout out on your next post!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!