4/3/07

Bono with Bill Hybels



For those of you who may have stopped by during one of the times that I was trying to perfect embedding a Google Video clip in a post may have been confused by my frequent reference to a Bono/Bill Hybels video which never really came about. Unfortunately I still haven't figured out this little piece of technology.



Nonetheless, I still want to recommend this clip to all of you who weren't there when I watched it (that's pretty much just you, Kacie). This clip is as much of that interview as I was able to find, but is by no means all of it. As a follower of Christ but no fan of the Christian church, Bono is able to straddle the fence between insider and outsider. His perspective is convicting and his passion is humbling. I only found disagreement with him in one respect; his reliance on governmental means in poverty relief.



As a conservative I am not as heartless as libs might claim. I just feel like the less we leave in the hands of the government, the better. Do I believe in helping the poor? Of course, but I prefer responsible non-profits who get 85-90% returns on the money given over a government institution who is lucky to get 50%. In this I differ with Bono, but he is spot-on in his challenge to the Church's ambivalence toward “the least of these.”

1 comment:

  1. U2 will forever be the best band this world has ever known - for more reasons than one. Their music is spectacular, and it has been for almost 30 years. In addition, as people, they seem to be 180 degrees different from the rest of the music industry. U2 keeps getting deeper and more concerned with legimate causes, not to mention their faith in Jesus (less one), while everyone else is getting faker and more evil, if you will.

    Bono encourages me to examine my life, the situation I'm in, and ask God what can I do for you and for others?

    p.s. that concert clip, from U2's Eleveation Tour DVD filmed in Boston, gives me the chills everytime I see it. I've heard (and experienced) that song in concert - it's always one of the top songs to see live.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!