4/23/07

Cam-o



I am starting this post early to make sure they are of a higher quality than my standard musings. I find that this venue is good for conveying the respect, good wishes and affection felt for loved ones. It is more transferable and permanent than a card, not to mention more heartfelt. I know that Campbell will likely not be able to read this for at least 6-7 years and probably won't really understand the sentiment for another decade or so (by which time I doubt this blog will still exist), but I need to write this for me.

As of Tuesday, April 24th of this year, Campbell Kelly will have been with us for a full year. Fatherhood has proved to be everything I hoped it would be. That is certainly not to say that it has been easy; it has not. I have a very hard time being anything approaching sensitive or caring when I am sleep deprived. I am willing to do a lot of fathering during the day of which I am literally incapable between 10pm and 6am. Midnight sobbing parties - sometimes by all participants(see Mike's blog) - aside, I have been blessed to see the advancements that this little fella continues to make on a daily basis. At this point my favorites are:

  1. He shakes his head "no" vigorously when asked if he's crazy (or when he's a good mood, when asked just about anything).
  2. He has fallen in love with motor vehicles of all kinds and makes something like a motor noise whenever he gets excited about cars and trucks.
  3. Starting this past Tuesday, when I show up after having been away all day, he will (only once) say "Daddy" when he sees me.
  4. He finds Diesel hilarious pretty much under any circumstance.

This list cannot be comprehensive as he learns something new every day at this point, particularly in the arena of communication. Last night while playing with his tractor, long-time friend Katie asked if it was a diesel (based on his version of a engine noise). Without looking up from his toy, he promptly repeated "diesel"(though it sounds more like "dees"). Of course, this is not because he was mimicking Katie but because it's our dog's name, which he's been using for weeks now.

I have no problem saying that I have become a better person through the past year and by God's grace, I hope to become the father that Campbell needs as he continues to grow and mature. In an earlier post I mention that I am worried that he will be like me. I have to believe that since every father knows himself best - to the dark core - it is only right to feel this way. I ask all of you that see or speak with me on a regular basis to help me to be the man that he needs. I know that a few of the people that read this have learned their families will be expanding soon and I hope that I can encourage you in the same way. Daddies of the world unite!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me your genius!