5/24/07

I'm Back with a Bang

Sorry that I have been MIA from blogoshpere for so long but work has been nuts recently. I have been trying to get half a dozen mission teams coordinated for early summer departures to such far-flung locations as Kenya, India, Rwanda, Burundi, Guatemala and the beautiful Crimea region of Ukraine.

I am now back in the saddle and I hope to be more contemporary with my posts than in past weeks (my earlier Fairness Doctrine post was largely written almost 10 days ago and didn't hit until today). With that in mind, I must direct you to some of the best information on the legislative monstrosity that is the current immigration bill.
  • At the Heritage Foundation, they have waded through the hundreds of pages of the current bill and distilled the many weaknesses found in Title VI (the portion dealing with regularization of illegal aliens) down to the 10 most egregious. This includes the ability for most of the 12 million to sponsor their entire immediate family for entry, a clause that only requires dangerous gang members to sign a "renunciation of gang affiliation" in order to receive a visa, gives in-state tuition to non-citizens while maintaining the ability to deny it to citizens (or even currently legal foreign students), allow for taxpayer-funded legal council in arguing for a change of status, and still no assurances that anything would be done to close the border to next wave of prospective amnesty recipients.
  • Hugh Hewitt, who is fairly moderate on immigration (he's said repeatedly that he is willing to accept nearly ANYTHING in the way of amnesty so long as the border fence is built), has been collecting expert opinion from all over. His focus on San Antonio Express columnist Todd Bensman's piece on a freedom-loving Iraqi's route to illegal entry is chilling in its portrayal of the simple route Jihadis can and have utilized to get here. There is no better way to explain why any legislation on this issue must be serious about border security.

I should have more, but as I said, it's been a busy few weeks.

I am thinking of changing my format on news/current event-related items to one of providing interesting links to the applicable news or commentary source and a brief opinion on the content. All other topics of interest will still have full-length text. If I still have any readers out there, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me your genius!