6/6/07

Thank the Lord for the Kop!

I have be stewing about this all day but haven't had the time to post about it until now. Last night, the indoor soccer league where Slick and I play was witness to the greatest choke in sports history. After scoring at ridiculously frequent intervals during the first half and taking a 9-1 lead against the top team in our division, our CSSC Bullets house team gave up 10 unanswered and lost 13-10. It was the saddest display of soccer - even for Americans - I have ever even heard about. Slick had 4 goals and probably had a good chance at 2-3 more. I played OK in my new boots, which gave me much better traction on the uniquely squishy surface, but I re-tweaked whatever nerve in my leg is responsible for the functioning of my lower body. In the next few days I'll stretching like a yoga master to try to avoid this being a continuing issue.

To add insult to injury, our wives (and my son) were in attendance and were regaled with the jeering of the opposing teams fans. The only consolation was the song in my head. I just kept hearing "Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart. You'll never walk alone" as sung by a stadium full of Liverpudlians. This isn't due to my status as an instant super-fan, but rather that I had been screwing around with this song on my computer all day yesterday. If you would like a feel for what I was hearing, check the audio player on the right side bar and select matthewgaw's play list.

We are nearing the end of our season and are currently working like true managers to build a higher quality team that we can make into a challenger for next season.

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget that your parents were there too! Hahahaha. Sorry, that didn't help.

    By the way, let the record state that I had FIVE goals...and, let the record state that 5 goals in indoor is equivalent to about 1 in outdoor soccer! So, really we were only up 2-0 and lost 2-3(2.6). Dang, even that sounds bad. Crap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sorry. I forgot that you were the greatest player of all time. I do prefer the sound of 2-3, but it doesn't really encompass the near total collapse we suffered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timberrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! (a collapsing sound) :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!