9/19/09

Best and worst ideas of the day - Dan Carlin and Blog2Print

This began as a 100% positive post, extolling the virtues of a newly discovered addiction but just came across a product on the other side of the spectrum. First the addiction...

Some of you know or have gathered from early posts that I am an avid listener to podcasts. I used to listen to political talk radio all day long until I discovered World Soccer Daily, a 2-hour daily satellite radio show that I subscribed on iTunes (thanks Slick). This and other footy podcasts were fantastic for making menial jobs or long drives go by quickly. Recently WSD went off the air and I was stuck with lots of time and nothing to podcast. Then I stumbled upon a show by a guy named Dan Carlin called Hardcore History.

I love history. I have a degree in history and was turned off to continued study not by the difficulty of further degrees but by the idiotic simplicity of the BA that I received. I have often been told that I explain historical events in a way that makes it interesting and understandable for people who previously had no interest in the topic. If I am 1/10 as interesting to other people as Dan Carlin is to me, I may have to reconsider going into teaching. This guy is fascinating.

I downloaded my first of his podcasts (1st in a series about the eastern front in WWII) on Thursday at lunch and I have already finished that series and another about the Punic Wars. That's over 7 hours of content consumed in less than 36 hours of life. My appetite for footy news was never that voracious. If you sometimes hear something on the news and wonder "What's the back-story to that?" or just feel embarrassed that you don't know much about the world, go to Hardcore History on iTunes and pick a show that looks interesting.


Now the bad...


On Blogger they have a site called Blogger Buzz that talks about new features and related content. Recently they talked about a service called Blog2Print which may the worst use of technological creativity I have ever come across. Basically it gives you the ability to take your blog and turn it into a printed, bound book. How pompous is that?!? If your skills are up to it write an actual manuscript and get published. If not, just keep it online (everyone is trying to go paperless anyway, right?).


It's not that I can't see a possible value to the service (ie. printing the daily entries during the process of having a child or some other important on-going event) but when I catch this update after having perused my blog and others which are equally silly and amateurish, I can't help but laugh.



Update: I found a new bad that's worse than Blog2Print. With Safari, the new Blogger publisher doesn't allow you to paste content into the pop-up windows. That means that you need to manual enter those huge URLs or HTML codes into this blank. Not gonna happen. This post has links but you must view the actual blog page (not aggregator) in order to see them. Sorry.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for recommendation the the History Pod Cast - Amanda and I are big fans of history and enjoy pod casts on long drives. Odd how hobbies become additive - but as the great philosopher Homer (simpson) put it..."all hobies suck, but after a while you realise they are great at wasting precious time."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Carlin is great, thanks for the tip.

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be pompous, but so is the very act of blogging about one's life.

    Or indeed writing anything that you intend others to read.

    You've gotta feel for the trees, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    Exactly! The very act of blogging is largely self-glorifying as are all the social media. By definition the concept that you want your daily life or random thoughts on the WORLD wide web is pretty pompous.

    However, taking those thoughts ("Today was so crappy LOL. I can't wait til tomorrow TGIF") and codify them into a coffee table book is another leap further into pomposity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And of course some people (the obnoxiously self-absorbed kind you try to avoid at parties because everything that happens in their life is just so damn more interesting than anything that happens in yours) will actually try to sell their books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will say that I have seen people that blog a lot about their kids make those books for birthdays. I could give a toss one way or the other, due to my inherent apathy (?) on children's gifts, but I have seen it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it depends on what you use your blog for. I try to use it mostly as a web page for all of our friends and family that don't live nearby (or even in the same state) to keep in touch with what's going on in our family...no matter how trivial or important. It's a lot easier to share videos, slide shows, and what we've been doing (with the occasional blog about "me") on a blog (i.e. web page) then sending emails to them. The fact is, for my blog, only a few people know the site exists and visit it so it's not like I'm trying to share our life and some pointless thoughts with "the world".

    Saving a copy of our blog as a sort of "diary" has actually been recommended by a few family members. Whether or not I print it out or copy and paste it into a Word document is the same thing...but I'm actually considering doing that so we have a mini family history or at least something documented about this stage of our life. I could really care less about re-reading my own thoughts, but to see old pictures of Julia, us, what we did as a family, or the house she grew up in 15 years from now will be priceless.

    But, I agree...someone who wants to print out their own thoughts or opinions in a book form has issues. If I had to guess though, most of the people that print out their blog probably use it more like I try to rather then for their own self-promotion.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!