9/11/09

Where were you....?

I read a lot of blogs.  I mean, a whole lot.  I suppose it's my connection to the US and method of following current events, my hobbies and my interests (I'm pretty sure I'll keep reading them when we get back to CO next month).

This gives me exposure to a variety of writing styles and voices.  Today is obviously 8 years on from the horror of 9/11 and there's tons of posts about the subject.  As I read a few I realized that there must be a point in the growth of a blog when you can ask honest questions about the lives of your readership without seeming ridiculously pompous - something akin to referring to yourself in the 3rd person.

"Where were you on 9/11?"
"Sitting next to you.... and why didn't you just ask me?"

Oh well, either way I'm nowhere close to that point.  Although, if you have a pressing need to answer the question I wasn't pompous self-confident enough to ask....

2 comments:

  1. Well Matt, I will answer the question...I was at my parents house. I remember I had just woken up and my mom had on the news and they were talking about a bombing at the World Trade Center. I remember thinking, "Didn’t that bombing happen awhile ago? Why are they talking about it again? How is that really news." Right then was when the 2nd plane hit. I remember being shocked into the reality that this was not the old news but unbelievably real at that moment.

    This morning at the gym I was watching footage of that day in 2001. I saw for the first time the look on President Bush's face when he was told what was taking place while visiting a elementary classroom. The look on his face was profound to me. You could just see the range of emotion as his mind raced to comprehend this unprecedented event while he tried to pay attention to the children’s story being read. I cannot imagine getting that kind of news as the leader of this country.

    September 11, 2001 was started as a normal day in my life as it did for everyone but it ended as the worst day in our history. I pray we will never forget the emotions we all went through that day and may it forever change us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sitting at LAX wondering why all the cops wouldn't let the team get to the terminal to fly to Hawaii for a soccer tourney.

    Tony called me and told me, and I called Dad (who was in TX with Grandpa at the time) and told him. I will never forget the answer -- he said "Tam, I don't think so."

    It was creepy kind of.

    I am very glad you will be back soon. I can't wait to see you guys in the October time-frame.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!