9/25/09

End of an Era

As we face down our return to Colorado from Ukraine I find myself already getting a bit nostalgic for our time here.  Not to say that I'm not excited to be back at home but I'll miss Kerch.  I was looking through some recent pictures and ventured upon a few older ones that I don't think I ever got around to posting.  Here's a few....


I found this Soviet-era painting in the back of a storage last year and was told to throw it out/burn it.  It was probably about 7 feet tall by about 10 feet long so I cut the canvass off the frame so that it might be stored somewhere less vulnerable.  It was done with the best intentions but we eventually used the back side to make a huge sign.

There was a time when it was not uncommon for me to work security - even the all-night shift.  Really nights were a better fit for me because it involved less need to talk to visitors.  One night Sergey stayed with me and he took this picture.  It's nowhere close to this light in reality (as shown by how our feeble lighting system look like spotlights) but I like the effect.

It kind of captures the way your head feels about 4 am on a winter morning before the dawn comes.  Also somewhat post-apocalyptic.


Here's some of our recent visit to the 300 year old Turkish fortress of Yenikale with Judith.  She took all of these pictures.



She stitched this one together and I like that it shows a lot more of this side than any of the pictures I've taken.




This was us walking back after a more staged photo op sitting on the arch but it worked better as a casual shot.


I think this may be my favorite.  As we walked the top the fortress wall into a massive headwind, Cam felt like a bird on my shoulders - closing his eyes and flapping away like he was heading to Russia.

3 comments:

  1. I know that part of you is glad to be coming back, but I genuinely hope that in receiving you guys back, people remember that a part of your hearts will be left in Kerch. I am so proud of you and your family baby bro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to do this. Although my experience is not entirely the same but similar, every place I've lived and then moved from is part of who I am. Looking back, I have fond memories of all places. For me, I tend to forget about the bad things and remember only the good things. Sometimes, I get nostalgic and wish I could go back for a little bit. It is hard because there are things I miss about each place that I don't have here. Point is, I think I know how you feel and how you are going to feel comrade. When I think about these things though, it's comforting to know that my place is here now.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!