9/29/08

Sunday at The Gathering

Yesterday Sarah and I were given the opportunity to set up a table at our home church in Colorado Springs.  They put up a nice picture of us that was taken at my aunt's wedding (because nothing says suffering for the Lord in Ukraine like a lake-front country club in east Texas) and asked people to stop by and talk to us.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that most of the people who stopped by to chat were people who we already knew.  After all, talking to "missionaries" is a scary proposition.  It puts you at risk for being asked to support them living in some remote location for the next 50 years.

I feel like I need a sign that says, "I'm not a pick-pocket... You can talk to me freely without losing your life savings."

I guess that's unfair.  Our church is extremely missions minded; both locally and internationally.  I suspect that most of the friendly folks that walked quickly past avoiding eye contact were on their way to lunch and are already giving generously to God's work.

I just wish that I didn't feel like such a used car salesman when I just want to tell people about what we are doing and give them an opportunity - with no expectations or strings attached - to be involved in something I really love.  Now hear this church members.... I am just a normal guy who is passionate about Ukraine!  Come talk to me about it!

1 comment:

  1. During my summer with Uncharted Waters, suffering for Jesus in the third world of Sydny, Australia; Marin County; and San Diego, CA - my boss jokinly stated the sign of good missionary boiled down to two things: the ability to tell a good joke and ask for money. Funny and true - as long as its in that order. Well, since your not funny I guess you're doomed...

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!