2/12/07

That's my boy!


I have no intention of making a coherent point in this post. I just wanted to write about Campbell.

My son is now officially hilarious. It isn’t really anything specific that he does; he just has the gift of a good sense of humor. I know it seems a bit premature (he’s not quite 10 months old) to crown him the world’s next great comedian, but I can already see the glimmer in his eyes. He has started to do funny things “on command” that can bring a smile to even the most dour face. His “Mimi” (my mom) has been singing the “Hurray for Campbell” song to him almost since birth and he now recognizes it and does the clapping and cheering motions along with the singer (we have all taken up his theme song). He now has begun giving a friendly smile that is entirely different than the excited, open-mouthed version that he has been doing the past 6 months or so. He utilizes this new smile when you call his name or offer a smile of your own. Just a sweet, non-verbal, “I’m glad to see you” grin.

Sarah says he’s just like me, but I hope not. I wonder if all fathers feel this way. I realize that in appearance and some facial expressions there is a definite resemblance, but unlike his father, he is pure and untainted by this horrible world. I guess I can’t prevent him from experiencing real life, but I don’t want him to be me. I’d rather he be like his grandfathers or my grandfather. I wonder if my dad felt this way about me.

I guess all I can do is pray, give it my best and let the Lord handle the rest.

2 comments:

  1. I for one, hope he turns out like you have, but I understand the difficulty. I don't want my boys to go through what I've gone through. Unfortunately, most of who you are is a result of what you've gone through and how you reacted to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I guess I see your point. I just hate to think of him as a young man and being in the same situations that I was. I know the Lord allows us to forge our own way if that is what we choose and it helps form who we are, but sometimes it still leads to self-loathing on the other side of the situation. Thank you for the support.
    For what it's worth, I hope your boys follow in your faith and character (if not in your footsteps).

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!