8/7/07

Back to Ukraine?!?

I hope that I have had a chance to personally talk with most of you who actually read this blog, but if not, I apologize for the surprise, which is...we are moving to Ukraine!

Since many of you already know that we have been seriously considering this for the past 3 weeks, I will take this opportunity to lay out why we made this decision.



Reason #1: The Calling

Since before Sarah and I were even engaged, we have both felt a call on our lives to participate in missions. While in Michigan I was a member of several teams, was a co-leader on a few more with the youth at Woodmen Valley Chapel and have been on Global Action trips the past 2 summers. I deeply value these opportunities and the lessons I learned about travel, teamwork and interpersonal interaction during difficult situations. Though eased to the back of my mind, I never completely lost the desire for a longer term overseas situation. I always assumed that with my Spanish skills, if this were to occur, I would find myself in Latin America. My faulty assumptions aside, both Sarah and I have been receptive to this type of situation for the entire span of our marriage.



Reason #2: The Passion

I hope that none of you is offended when I say that ever since I arrived back in the States almost 3 weeks ago, I have been yearning to return to Ukraine. I love Colorado Springs and I my local friends and family even more so, but what I experienced at the Hope Center in Kerch made me realize that I was being called to more than staying where I felt loved and comfortable.



Reason #3: The Opportunity

Upon his return to the office from his most recent jaunt around the globe (3 weeks ago Thursday), Lars asked how my trip to Ukraine was.

Half joking, I said, "Amazing! When can I go back?"

To which he responded, only 1/4 joking, "We have a position over there. Do you want it?"

To which I replied (now only barely joking), "Don't joke about that, 'cause I'll take it."

To which he answered (no longer joking), "Don't YOU joke about that, 'cause I'll give it to you."

As the weeks have progressed, we have seen doors continue to open and we proceeded to walk through them. In short, we have been given a chance to do something extremely meaningful and adventurous with little or no risk/downside. That is an opportunity that very few people are given.


We will miss seeing our Colorado Springs friends on a regular basis (we'll still be able to converse with all our friends frequently), but since the camp sleeps around 200, you are all welcome to come visit.

5 comments:

  1. I knew you were going to go from the moment you told me. :) What's this 3 weeks business?!

    All kidding aside, I'm glad that Pedro from Senora GC's Cacahuete's class has grown up to be Matt, the "missionary".

    I do have to be honest and say that selfishly, I didn't approve of this because it means my football watching buddy is leaving. BUT, I guess that's trivial in comparision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you're a little disappointed that you will be cheering Spurs by yourself in you ultra-manly basement, but I truely appreciate your encouragement and honest support. You have been great in helping me think through this and honoring the choice that we've made.

    I was thinking, I'll be in the US for the first half of the season, giving us plenty of games to watch together. After that I'll be in Europe so, for example, if Liverpool plays Saturday at 5pm in England, it will be 7pm (sort of happy hour) in Kerch and 10am in Colorado. We could easily watch the game simultaneously and maybe even chat online while we do it. It's the next best thing to watching it together in your basement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that sounds cool. Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's just not fair....we finally get back to the States, and close by at that, and you are gonna up and leave on us??!!

    In all honesty, you know how excited this friend is to see your life have such and impact for Christ!! Please let us know how we can support in anyway. When do you move? Probably before we return it sounds!! How long do you expect to be there? We need to talk sometime buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude you are my HERO, seriously I admire your selflessness and your heart for missions. Please let me know how I can pray for you guys. I hope to see you before you leave but don't think it will happen. Take care

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!