8/14/07

Premiership Week 1 recap

Update: Liverpool did indeed beat Toulouse in France today. The count was 1-0 on the strength of a goal from Ukrainian new-comer Andriy Voronin. The Reds high-caliber talent was showcased as they brought out their second string strikers (Voronin, Benayoun, Crouch) who could start for most European sides.


My first opening day as a Liverpool fan was everything I could have hoped for. Despite the Reds strong off-season signings, I was only cautiously optimistic about the game. Away against a well-respected Aston Villa side and having not won a first game since 2002, the odds were not on our side.



I wasn't able to watch the game live due my lovely niece's birthday party but I decided to follow the game via my stupid Crackberry and my trusty friend Slicky (I did finally watch the game on Sunday night). I was confused by ESPN.com's live internet coverage as the game progress counted up (in the European manner starting at 0:00 and counting to 90+ minutes depending on stoppage time) while their actual game clock counted down from some ridiculous number. At the beginning of the second half, the clock began at the illogical point of 109 minutes and counted down from there.



This frustration aside, I was able to ascertain that midway through the first half, AV gave us the gift of an "own goal" when Martin Laursen accidentally sent the ball to the roof of the goal while trying to clear it. Upon watching the game on Sunday, I think this may have been one of the better strikes of the day.



The second half began with expectations of continued pressure and time-in-possession advantage. An under the surface, in-game running scuffle developed from the rough play of Liverpool's Jermaine Pennant and subsequently distracted the Reds and gave Villa more counter attack chances. Tragedy struck in the 86th minute when a weird bounce into the hand of Jamie Carragher gave Gareth Barry a penalty kick, of which he availed himself. As I was following this via single-sentence emails from Slick, I went from growing hope of an opening victory to immense frustration.



No sooner had I started calculating where a draw placed us in the table then Slick sent a follow up saying that Steven Gerrard was awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty box in the 87th minute. After having waited for what must have been the longest period holding my breath for an email, Slick gave me the satisfaction of the following messages:




Gerrard on magical free kick from 20 yards!!!!!!


Unbelievable shot! Absolute top corner of the net!!!


Wait until you see the replay of the shot....unbelievable... 89:00 on the
clock


90:00 on clock....corner to Villa...cleared...4 min of injury time


You'll Never Walk Alone being sung loudly by the scouse supporters....Villa
throwing the kitchen sink...1 minute left in game!!!!!


Full Time whistle blows!!! 2-1
LPool!


I was understandably excited and even more so once I actually got to watch Stevie G's shot myself. It was a great game and good weekend.


Highlights:

  • Man U gets drawn nil-nil at home against.....Reading (Rainbow)
  • Chelsea and Arsenal get scored on but survive by shelling the keepers for Birmingham City and Fulham, respectively.
  • Wigan gets off to a fantastic start in their quest for relegation by losing to (now) table leading Everton (sorry, Slick).
  • The other Manchester (City) achieve an impressive victory over Westham despite their pansy blue socks

Lowlights:

  • Despite feverish support from Slick's basement, Tottenham limps to a 0-2 record with a loss to Everton. There is still faith that they will turn the corner against perennial suckers Derby County leading up to their date with Man U. on August 26th. COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to sign off as the Reds are in the midst of what should be a cakewalk against French side Toulouse (which I hope they do).

9 comments:

  1. Jerrrlarld!!! Somehow, the WSD pronounciation (and probably Liverpudlian) throws a couple Ls in there.

    It was a great start to the season. Lots of surprises. I thought LP played very well - they looked poised to make a run this year. We'll get a good preview of their potential this Sunday against Chelsea.

    The emails were fun to do...it was hard to keep up with all the action at the end of the game. Let's hope my Spurs get healed and out of this funk they are in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they will come through it. The talent is there, they just need something to inspire them...like a 4-nil blowout of Derby. With that in mind, I'm actually kind of interested in the Derby-Man City game this afternoon. If the Blues can have a good showing against DC too, they may be the real deal (or it may just be good news for the Yid Army).

    ReplyDelete
  3. La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la! Everyone is wondering where I have been? Well, I've been sleeping through all this soccer-talk on all of my friends' blogs, just like you all sleep through my quilting babble! I'm thinking I actually have three options instead of complaining about what you all blog about (1) start blogging again myself so I can prompt others to talk about things I like, (2) start caring about soccer, since everyone in the world does except basically me and about 250 million other Americans, (3) go beat Matt at Phase 10. Hmm ... maybe I'll do (1) and (3) for starters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that I haven't done anything but soccer for a few weeks, but I'm shallow and don't have much to fall back on. If the workdays get long this week, I'll try to get another topic covered before I have to do another Premiership update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're just being nice because you KNOW today's my day to win Phase 10 -- I'm on the schedule to win once every 100 games and this is the one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, at Matt's insistence, I'll post it publicly here: I LOST today's Phase 10 game because I forfeited and went to lunch with my girlfriends instead. They're much nicer company because (a) they don't cheat and (b) they don't talk about soccer at all! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kacie-
    That took a lot of courage. I appreciate your honesty and I respect you all the more for your integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She lives! Nice one... I do have to say that publicly admitting your defeat takes guts.

    I think you should just focus on step 1 for starters...we need culture and refinement in our discussions (like about quilts)...and Matt and I are DEFINITELY NOT the ones to bring you that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey!! Speak for yourself. I have piles of culture and refinement.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!