8/8/07

EPL kick-off...Barclays can take a walk


I wanted to blog on Saturday's start of the Premiership's regular season, but I was beaten to the punch by my esteemed colleague Slicky.


Unfortunately, I am not going to give a prediction of the full table but I do need to make some calls on the top 7. For those who are even more newbie than I am, 7 is a magic number in the EPL as the top 4 teams are eligible for the UEFA Champions League which pits the top sides from all the professional national leagues in Europe. This is an amazing competition in which my boys from LFC have done well in recent years. The next three teams are eligible (depending on other competition results) for the UEFA Cup, a similar European competition for the next level of teams.


Slick has the following as his top sides:


  1. Man U

  2. Chelsea

  3. Arsenal

  4. Liverpool

  5. Tottenham

  6. Aston Villa

  7. Portsmouth

My main problem comes not from his analysis but from his lack of imagination. His top 5 are exactly the same as last season! This is the first year that I will be following the EPL game-by-game and I WANT to believe that it will be unique. Thus, my imagination puts the MPG (a very prestigious sporting pundit) pre-season rankings as follows:



  1. Chelsea

  2. Man U

  3. Liverpool

  4. Tottenham

  5. Arsenal

  6. Portsmouth

  7. Everton

Please remember that this is based upon part analysis and part imagination/hopefulness. I dislike Chelsea greatly but since I have no doubt that they are a better team than my Reds, I hope they win the league so my disdain can grow. I am trying to avoid increasing my aversion to Man U since I do like to watch them play. I think between Slick and I, it should be obvious why I place LFC and Spurs directly behind the giants and in that order. For reasons I cannot quite grasp, Arsenal is falling quickly out of favor in my book and I am sure that is OK with Slick (see North London derby). Portsmouth gets in almost solely based upon my having viewed them in the Asian Trophy final against Liverpool and I have to admit that Everton's position is largely based upon their position last year (does that make me a hypocrite?).

4 comments:

  1. I’ll have you know that Liverpool finished 3rd last year and Arsenal 4th…I switched the two for this year! :) I actually picked where I thought the teams would finish and not where I’d want them to! I do appreciate you placing my boys in the top 4 though. Although I didn’t comment too much on my blog regarding analysis, I think we can both agree that Chelsea and United are the top 2 teams.

    So that brings us to teams 3-5. It really comes down to the fact that Spurs have made some great signings, but still haven’t done anything to address what their problems were last year. They scored the same amount of goals last year as the top 4 but gave up twice as many. I just don’t know if we’ve fixed our problems in the back to jump up one place. Spots 3 & 4 really come down to a coin flip. I think we may see a switch here mainly because Arsenal is same team they were for much of second part of last season plus Van Persie and I don’t think Liverpool is as strong…but that’s really splitting hairs and doesn’t really mater much (i.e. no title, yet still in the Champions League).

    My 6 and 7th picks finished 11th and 9th last year, respectively. So, bring on the trash talk – cause that’s what it is...trash! :) Just kidding of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really we all know that Chelsea are going to finish 1st because the guy who knows the least about futbol picked them. It's like how that girl at work wins the march madness pool every year by picking teams she likes the mascot or color-combo pattern for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Coach!!

    That is easily the worst part of being an avid sports fan. You pour over analysis and statistics only to be outsmarted by a lady who picks based upon "her team's" star being cute like her nephew. It's revolting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious!!! And, I can confirm that this is a fact since this year some lady who doesn't even watch NCAA basketball almost won our office pool. Well done, well done. We all know that you look good in blue coach - it makes your eyes dance!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!