5/8/09

Man's best friend

I don't think I've posted about Diesel (our 5 year old boxer) and his protective instincts. He's a serious pain in the butt some days but I am thankful for his loyalty. On a few occasions he's shown that if Sarry and Cam are threatened, he's willing to protect them.

Sometimes I wonder what makes dogs do this.

This morning I was reading an amazing story about a 3 year old kid who was recently lost in Missouri for 3 cold days in only a diaper, t-shirt and shoes. At the end of the story, it mentions that when he was found he was attended by 2 stray dogs.

An amazing and strange story, made even stranger by the fact that it almost exactly mirrors a case of another 3 y.o. who was lost in DECEMBER in Virginia last year. Here's the weird thing... that kid was kept alive by 2 puppies! Is that a coincidence? What are odds that 2 toddlers survived in the forest alone within 6 months and they were both accompanied by a pair of dogs?

I guess there's something to that 'man's best friend' moniker.

4 comments:

  1. Darn right! Show me a cat that could/would do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Dees! I miss that bugger, but I don't think he would do well keeping anyone warm... the poor guy has no fur. He'd do great keeping them active though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not trying to be a hater, but the link says the child was found because two stray dogs were spotted sniffing him as he lay on the ground. Is there more to the story that says the dogs actually kept him alive and/or warm? I looked around but couldn't find another article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point Slick. Actually the original source for the story was a new channel video which either stated or implied that the dogs had been attending the boy. The second story is explicit that the boy was kept warm by the puppies.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!