5/25/09

Tattoo Regret

I was working it out in my head today and this summer marks 10 years since I got my tattoo done at Twisted Sol just off Colfax St. in Denver. Clint Hill and I agreed to get ours done before we moved out of our Lakewood apartment - his a howling wolf on a hill and mine a celtic cross.

I figure a decade is long enough to reflect on that decision so here's some thoughts...



Good Idea? - I'm still glad I got the tattoo and kind of hope to get 1 or 2 more someday. Cam doesn't even find it odd - he just identifies it as the cross that's always been there.

Size? - I'd definitely place it on the lower/smaller end of my 'satisfaction curve.' I'd prefer it to be bigger/bolder. Since I dropped $400 for it at this size (6 inches tall), it would have run quite a bit to go much bigger.

Placement? - I still can't think of another place I'd like it more. If you asked me most days, I'd say that I'd like it a touch higher (or, based on the size critique, just bigger with the top extending higher). Recently I've been intrigued by non-symmetrical placement (ie Ryan Dobson's and Tommy C's side rib cage script) but don't know how I would like it for my cross.

Design? - I'm very pleased with the design itself but wish that it had a greater degree of individuality. I've considered augmenting the existing cross with something more unique to me and my family but haven't come up with anything that appeals to me yet.

Overall I've got to say that if you leave out my mom crying when she saw it the first time, I haven't regretted very much about getting my tat and still enjoy it.



Consider this post a chance to examine your own tattoos (or those of a loved one) and express the pleasure or regret they have brought... the tattoos, not the loved ones.

7 comments:

  1. A very careful consideration of your tattoo--as someone who badly wants a tattoo myself, it's nice to read about someone who has carefully thought about their tat and still has no real regrets. I don't look forward to my mom crying either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready for my second.

    I'm thinking on my inner bicep, or even... the forearm. A quarter note rest symbol with the word Selah incorporated in into or around it. Still working out the design.

    Thanks for mentioning mine in your blog. honored, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember exactly when it was, but one day I stepped out of the shower and saw my tattoo in the mirror and suddenly realized what "permanent" actually means.

    The feeling I have about my tattoo is something akin to regret, though it's not the same as other regrets I have. In some ways, it's a gentle reminder of how some temporary situations don't need permanent reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the ring idea.
    word verification "cutio"... i.e. I think that picture is very cutio. :)

    I make up enough words without the help of word verifications.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always liked your tat. I would never get one thanks to what I call the "cocktail party phenomenon" but I dig yours.

    (If I was to get one, it just might look like the RFC crest after this weekend ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what's ironic? Nothing says "I'm unique and a rebel" these days more then NOT having a tattoo. Seriously, I would like to know the percentage of our generation that has a tat.

    Having said that, I think your tattoo is allsome Matt. Just don't put angel wings or something on your shoulders for your next one.

    I'll stick to the ones that you get from bubble gum and/or the county fair.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!