4/4/08

Liverpool - Arsenal; Part 2

Inspired by my recent unpublished, but nonetheless accurate assessment of the Liverpool-Arsenal Champions League match on Wednesday, I have decided to make a call regarding the remaining 2 matches this week.  For the uninitiated, I should probably explain why these two storied clubs are playing 3 times in only 7 days (this isn't the World Series!).
The CL semi- and quarter-finals are 2-game, home and away match ups with the score being aggregate (ie. the sum of both game's goals).  Liverpool and Arsenal were picked at random to play in the quarters which happened to be scheduled on back-to-back midweeks bracketing an already scheduled Premiership match up.  Thus they played Wednesday at Arsenal and will tangle there again tomorrow (Saturday) before heading to Anfield next Tuesday.

Wednesday had all the makings of a snooze-fest as I felt that LFC manager Benitez would slow it down for a 1-1 draw if not a 1-0 win; I was wrong about the pace and entertainment.  Arsenal struck first with a great header by Emmanuel Adebayor but we equalized when Stevie G. (no relation to Ali G) smoked 2 Gooners and crossed to a crashing Dirk Kuyt.  It ended 1-1 as I had suspected.

So here is my call for the next 2 games:

Saturday, Premiership, Emirates Stadium - This is throw away game for both teams in that they are each fairly secure in their current league places with little opportunity to move up.  Each squad has gone through a period of poor play (Liverpool in January and Arsenal in March) which have left them out of title contention, leaving the CL as their main season focus.  Playing away with nothing on the line, Rafa Benitez will likely go back to fiddling with his line-up, leading to 3-1 loss.  Truth be told, I would accept a 5-0 loss in exchange for a win next week.

Wednesday, Champion's League, Anfield - Games like this are why Rafa still has a job in Merseyside.  He is a fabled tactician in these 2 leg European competitions.  Back home with a full-strength side (barring any injuries), I can see the Reds taking it 2-1 or going 1-1 at nicking it in extra time.

You heard it here first.  I will be posting briefly as to the accuracy of these guesses...er...predictions on Saturday and Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. Liverpool pretty much parked the bus on Wednesday. Their formation: 8-1-1! Their strategy: have the fat kid in back punt it 50 yards for Torres to chase down! It was exciting though since Arsenal kept coming at them…I’m surprised Arsenal didn’t score 2 goals.

    I really don’t know what to think about this Saturday’s game. I would disagree that both teams are in firm control of their positions. Arsenal are, Liverpool not. If Liverpool loses tomorrow, all of a sudden with an Everton win they’re only 2 points clear in the last UCL spot. One more slip up after tomorrow and it could be all over. So, I’d expect a repeat of Wednesday’s game – either a 1-1 or a 2-1 Arsenal win (if LFC plays not to lose).

    You heard it here first…next week’s game is going to a shoot out! I’ll say Liverpool wins 4-3 from the “charity dot”!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, to be fair that was more of a 4-2-3-1 or at worst a 6-3-1. With Arsenal having that much possession it was bound to end up with 10 Reds in the box. They were fairly effective at times when Gerrard, Babel and the like counterattacked en mass.

    I actually would have liked them to long ball it MORE OFTEN at times. They were trying to do that fancy gooner passing 10 yards from their own box! Just clear the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. LEAVERPWUL!!! LEAVERPWUL!!! LEAVERPWUL!!! I thought you'd like the 8-1-1 comment. I'm just jealous that Spurs can't do the same thing (defend like that). Kuyt was outstanding, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kuyt is pretty useful in the formation they played on Wednesday. WIth Torres up top, Babel/Benayoun, Gerrard and Kuyt behind him and then Mach and Xabi as holding midfielders...I think Rafa may have actually found a way to use the peculiar team that he has assembled.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think