9/6/08

I feel vindicated...

I know that some of you (those who grew up with me) wonder why I made such a seemingly dramatic shift away from classic American sports - the ones I actually played in school - and towards futbol.  I'll admit that it's a bit weird to jump both feet on the English football bandwagon without having grown up in that culture, but now I have the addiction.  In my defense, I never really had an opportunity in my younger years to view the game and develop a love for it.

Regardless of the reason, today I read a story that completely vindicates my decision to all but abandon professional American sports - particularly the NFL and NBA.  Chad Johnson, receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals has officially changed his name to a pidgin Spanish version of his uniform number.  According to the Broward County (Florida) circuit court, Johnson will henceforth be known as Chad OchoCinco.

I know that professional footballers (the other kind) can be arrogant prima donnas but I think this takes it to a whole new level.  So all you NFL fans can keep your OchoCinco and I take my Stevie G.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of an old Tank McNamara cartoon where a couple is at the hospital with a newborn, and the dad says he's going to name the baby after Nolan Ryan. The mom realizes by the end of the strip that dad isn't going to name junior Nolan Ryan [Surname Here]; he's just going to name him Nolan Ryan. It's classic, and at least honors someone other than himself.

    I'm also reminded of Herbie, the Love Bug, who is named "Ocho" by a little Spanish-speaking boy because his race number 53 adds up to 8.

    Foolishness I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you hear how funny it would be if Goodell said he could only use the last name so only "cinco" would be on here.

    One could make a Joey Barton argument here, but that's a special case of prat for that one.

    I still love them both! I am currently on football/football overload and LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I find Ochocinco (the person and the name) extremely funny, I too have pretty much given up on pro sports. I love my futbol but have also grown to enjoy college basketball, hockey and football a lot more then their pro counterparts. I think my reasons are similar. Cheers mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Roger. Leave it to him to find a perfectly legitimate (and sane) way to cut Mr. JohnsonOchoCinco off at the knees!!!

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3574151

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!