4/29/09

The stock market, footy and Slick

The stock market, football and my friend Slicky....

Wanna see how I'm gonna tie all those together?

The idea of playing the stock market (at least prior to the world financial system collapsing in a steaming pile of... well, burnt up corporations) is to buy low and sell high. The trick when a stock rises is to sell it at it's highest point.... ie. don't sell too early while it's still rising and don't wait too long so that it's already on the decline.

So like Warren Buffet, I've been trying to hold out on posting this until the perfect moment... which I believe is right now.


I play a game called I Know the Score on the Premier League website. It's basically guessing game results and is played by exactly 179,978 people worldwide. I track my results against Slick, Tammi, Jenya and a few other folks as well as where I stand overall. Currently I sit at #16,673 which isn't too bad (in the top 10% of players).

Slick on the other hand sits at #602... in the top 0.3%! I have been wanting to give him mad props but didn't want to jinx his run. He's been moving up the rankings recently and I sense this might be the time to "sell off" (AKA write this post).

Only time will tell if this level is his highest point of the season.

He can't win the game over-all since the current leader has nearly 50% more points with only a half-dozen game weeks to go, HOWEVER here's hoping he keeps rocking his way up the charts.

9 comments:

  1. I appreciate the “mad props”. With 4 weeks left to go, I probably can’t climb much higher…maybe to 500? It's funny that you should mention this, because I've been calculating the percentage each week myself and was going to make a post (however prideful) about my final ranking. Great minds think alike.

    Anyway, regarding the jinxing issue…. About two months ago I really needed to tell someone how well I was doing. So, I made a post on the Spurs message board that I frequent about my ranking. Shortly thereafter, I proceeded to drop about 400 places in the overall rankings. It’s taken me since that time to climb back to position 602.

    Don’t worry about the “jinx”. If I tank from here on out, I’ll only blame you for the rest of my life. Also, I’ll hire someone to kidnap you and your family and have them ship all of you to the Ukraine. Oh wait… (I’m completely kidding by the way)

    p.s. you better not let your sister beat you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am keeping a close eye on Tammi, as she's hit a good vein of form lately. I was particularly gratified to see her jump Kenny in the standings.

    I'm actually waiting for when my buddy Jenya passes Steven, despite having started only about 2 months ago and not really having the language skills to follow the league very closely. You better believe I'll be emailing the show on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I hope he passes Steven. BTW, I just tried to make my picks on the IKTS site looks like it's down. I had a heck of a time trying to print out my normal stuff too. The jinx has already started...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you know I passed Kenny? I did kill it pretty well a couple of times the last month. I called a lot of draws correctly so that helped.

    I need to see what my ranking is right now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turns out I am ranked 23,266 of 179,978.

    Not the best, but certainly not enough to make me hurl myself out of my 11th story window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Tam, I should have checked to see if you knew how to track that.

    If you know someone's ID you can track how they're doing by clicking the little binoculars icon next to their name. Then when you go to leaderboard scroll to the bottom and all your tracked folks are there.

    Kenny is lbcrfc and steven is chelcfc05.... and you're beating them both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slick and Tammi,
    I want to comment this so you can help me not to forget. Next year I'm going to play 3 separate IKTS accounts if I can. I might have to set up ghost email accounts to pull it off.

    Basically I want to play one and run 2 'control sets'.

    One would always pick the higher placed side (maybe a draw for teams tied on points or next to each other in the table). The safety would go to the closest match up and the banker on the one with the most spots between the teams in the table.

    The second will be basically the same thing but straight off the form guide.

    I want to see if I'm really all that clever or if you can just play it straight and succeed. My theory is that if you play the from guide straight you should end up in the top 15% at worst.

    Don't let me forget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's interesting...I think you'd be able to do it. If anything, just sign up for two new accounts on hotmail or Yahoo and then you can delete them when you're done. How do you plan on accounting for the final score though? I think that will make a big difference in finishing in the top 15%, 25%, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BT Dub, I have noticed that Aaron is now 272, up from 540 last week :-)

    word verification - snerci

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!