10/16/07

Fact of the Day - C: The Colosseum

As an interesting note, this post of the "C - Fact of the Day" is also my 100th post on this blog - C being the Roman numeral for 100. Pretty strange coincidence, huh?In honor of this, today's post will have a Roman flavor.

I present the Colosseum in Rome.


The edifice, completed in 80AD, was originally known as Amphitheatrum Flavium or Flavian Amphitheater after the family name of the Emperors who commissioned its construction. The term Colosseum derives from the Colossal statue for Nero that stood next to the arena. It hosted gladiator battles as well as less violent cultural events uninterrupted for almost 500 years. In its prime it was capable of seating roughly 50,000 spectators. The stadium floor, though sand covering wooden planks, was actually the roof of an elaborate, two-tiered underground maze from which people, animals and decorations could be quickly inserted into the arena for its assorted performances.

4 comments:

  1. I thought the colosseum was in L.A.? Oh well, nevermind...what's the latest gossip on TomKat? Hehe. I think I will do my C on the Colorado Rockies...tonight or in the next few days. Pretty cool about C = 100. Congrats on the milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drove by the colosseum once and it was all lit up purple cause Prince was there. For the sake of the future of western civilization, I hope that it wasn't the Roman Colosseum that played host to "Purple Rain" and "When Doves Cry".

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I want is your extra time and your...m m m m KEEEEISS! Ok, well, not you personally. Or Prince for that matter. It's funny that you bring that up 'cause it makes you wonder...will someone like Prince cause the fall of western civilization as we know it? OR, does the fact that we've produced a "Prince" already show we're done? Personally, I think the latter. We're so screwed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. I guess the thought of Prince at THE Colosseum isn't that much more offensive than forcing Christians to battle lions unarmed in the same venue.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!