11/28/07

We'll miss you, Sis

I just recently learned that the grandmother of my longtime friend Bryan Unks passed away last week. Alma Leslie MacElhaney - I never her knew her as anything but "Grandma" or "Sis" - was a staple of my youth and will be sorely missed. I spent more than my fair share of time at their house for 4th of July and New Year's parties. Sis and her late husband Sandy always accepted we friends-of-the-family as though we were part of the clan - which for Sandy usually meant treating me like I was in his own personal boot camp, berating me for wearing my hat backwards or inside his house at all. They were amazing people and I expect that I will always think of their neighborhood off York, east of Academy as the "MacElhaney's." Below is the obituary from today's paper wherein those that knew her best pay homage to her memory.

A longtime resident of Colorado Springs, Sis went home to be with the Lord on November 19, 2007. Born in Baltimore, MD on August 23, 1923, Sis was the daughter of William and Alma Leslie. She married Alexander (Sandy) MacElhaney on August 29, 1942, and they enjoyed over 61 years of marriage before Sandy died in 2003. They had four children: Sharon Unks (Rick), Bill MacElhaney, Patti Bradley (Mike) all of Colorado Springs and John MacElhaney of Grand Junction, CO. Sis is survived by her four children, 12 grandchildren, great grandchildren, and her sister Jean Wiles of Franklin, TN. Sis' greatest joy was her family, but her influence went well beyond. She was quite a sports enthusiast and even though legally blind for the past 9 years, she continued to attend Air Force football and basketball games. She had an infectious smile and endeared herself to all with whom she came into contact. Sis had a wonderful sense of humor that had the nurses laughing right up until the end. She will be sorely missed by all who were blessed to know her. A Memorial Service will be held at 2:30 PM on December 2, 2007 at Liberty Heights, 12105 Ambassador Drive, Colorado Springs, CO with a reception to follow.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the United States Air Force Academy Association of Graduates, 3116 Academy Drive, USAF Academy, CO 80840-4475.

Published in The Gazette on 11/28/2007.

We love you, Sis!

8 comments:

  1. I, too, spent hours and hours at the MacElhaneys' place. Sandy and Sis were my father's sponsors at the USAFA from the fall of '68 to spring of '72, and his relationship with the MacElhaneys is a big part of the reason I'm friends with fat Matt and Brian.

    I often think of them as I drive past the old neighborhood as I pass York on my way to work.

    My prayers are with you and yours, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you brother. Sometimes I forget about the connection between Big George and the MacElhaneys. I know that they touched a lot of our lives, particularly back in the day and I wanted to give as many people as possible the chance to show their respect for this great couple and the family they led.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very sweet of you to do Matt. I feel like Sis and Sandy, but especially Sis for me, were like everyone's grandparents. I can't believe she's gone. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, we'll all miss her smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Class. Thanks Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never really expected this day to come. In a way Sis and Sandy were such pillars of our community I half expected them to be around forever. Thanks for the nice tribute Matt. What a nice tribute to a wonderful and spunky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all of you who took the time express your respect in this format. Sometimes I even forget that Sandy's gone...like if I head by their house he'd still be there to yell at me for wearing a hat inside his house. Amazing people for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason, I am just catching this blog....wow!! Matt, thanks for the wonderful tribute, and the trip down memory lane. To all the rest of you, thank you for honoring my grandparents who certainly considered you all family. I hope that we can all, in some way, carry on their legacy. Thank you all for being such great friends over the years!!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!