11/29/07

Captain Mark in Iraq

For the second time in as many days I am posting using material that is largely not my own.  Mark, a friend to many of us, has been in Baghdad for the past few weeks as a JAG officer (aka. military lawyer) with the Air Force.  While it may seem that the words "lawyer" and "Air Force" don't tend to indicate danger, Mark is responsible for assisting the municipal court system of Iraq.  This entails rolling with the Marines in the battle gear you see him sporting above.  He's been kind enough to keep us updated via email so I'm stealing his report and posting it below.  Stay safe Marky Mark, we're praying for you!



Family and friends -
 
Things are going well in Baghdad.  I'm settling into a routine at work and finally feel as if I have a good grasp on the processes here.  The cases I'm seeing here are truly phenomenal: the very worst of human depravity and the very best of human courage.  What better use of a law degree than to prosecute the worst of the worst?  Few attorneys have this opportunity.  I am grateful. 
 
The judicial system here is beginning to stand on its own two feet.  It is independent from the other branches of government and establishing working courts in the outlying provinces. 
 
Violence is at a low.  Citizens are becoming confident in our ability to capture the bad guys and the system's ability to see that they are punished.  Folks are returning to the markets, kids to the soccer fields, etc.
 
Recently we had a diplomatic luncheon for the Iraqi Judges.  These are courageous men.  Dozens of judges have been assassinated in the past.   I've attached a picture showing the deputy ambassador, our Task Force 134 general (a Marine 2 star), and the Chief Judge in a gift exchange.  The general presented to the Chief Judge what I thought was a poignant gift: the writings of Abraham Lincoln, a man who overcame a similar situation -- a country ripped-apart by geographic and ideological strife.
 
I've attached a couple of photos: who's that famous guy with General Petraeus?  
 
Clare and the kids are doing well.  The boys just had minor surgery to remove their adenoids.  They spend every spare moment engrossed in Star Wars legos; Gracie babbling on the phone.  I get to speak to them nearly every day; it does my heart good to hear their voices. 
 
Also, we are very pleased to be moving back to Denver next summer.  Clare is already busy looking at homes for us. 
 
Finally, I'm now in a position to get mail. 
 
 
Love to all,
 
Mark

3 comments:

  1. Props to you for giving props to Mark on ye olde blog. If I wouldn't have left this would have been me as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we all still respect you huge, Buddy! You don't have to visit Iraq to be our friend...you just don't get super-sweet pictures of you packin' with Baghdad in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...exactly what I was thinking... Can you have Paul photoshop my head onto Mark? I want to look cool packin' heat in Baghdad.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!