3/20/09

Going on a missions trip

Yes, it may sound funny to those of you who consider us missionaries here in Ukraine to be "going on a missions trip", but that is indeed what we will be doing this Sunday. There will be 8 of us going to our northern neighbor, Belarus... Tanya, Jenya, Matt and I and 4 of our summer camp counselors. Yes, you read right Campbell will not be going on this trip. He will be staying in Kerch with two of his favorite people - Andrey and Alosha (pictured above).

Andrey approached us with this idea saying "God told me that Campbell is to stay here with me while you go to Belarus." It took me almost two weeks to agree with him, but I really do think it is the best thing. Part of this trip is for Matt and I to better connect with the counselors and in order to do that and be of as much help as possible we really do need to be Campbell-less.

So please be praying for the following... that I will be able to trust Campbell into God's care (as I should always be doing, but here is the real test), that Campbell will do well with the goodbye (I don't think I could handle the leg grabbing and sobs), healing for Campbell as he has been fighting a nasty cold/flu this week, and that Campbell will do well for Andrey. Why is it that the week before this all is to happen, Campbell comes down with the worst of his colds, decides he's going to start spitting and hitting people when they tell him no, wakes up 2-3 times a night with nightmares, and refuses to eat? My guess is we are getting the attacks early. So your prayers are very much appreciated.

Ok... so the trip. We will be gone for 9 days - of which 2 of those days will be spent on a lovely train. For 5 days we will be doing a mini summer camp for kids in Belarus. The place we are going to is not quite an orphanage... not sure what it is called exactly, but it is where the kids go while their paperwork is being finalized in becoming orphans. So great moment in their life. We will work with the 3-6 year olds in the morning and the school aged kids in the afternoon and evening. Pray for strength for us, health (I'm already getting my third cold), creativity and most of all broken hearts for these kids. Pray for the kids to be open to what we have to say and for lives to miraculously be changed with just some simple messages in these short days. I know it can happen, because God does it here at our camps. And then finally, pray for the unity of our team. Matt and I are really hoping that our language skills improve over this week and that we will be able to really connect with these team members so that our ability to liaison with the US/England teams will be that much better.

We are hoping to update the blog while we are there, but if we don't we will certainly fill you in when we get back after the 30th.


4 comments:

  1. Which counselors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya (ward 3), Natasha (ward 4), Angela (Tanya's best friend), Olga (ward 2), me, Tanya, Sarah and Jenya.

    A big happy family. There will be much pantomiming and Phase 10ing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous... not a very Godly trait. I will be praying for you all. And when you return I'm very curious as to how our counselors run a camp. I think it will give us insights as to what they think is most important and what they like best and what ideas they have that have not been used at summer camps before. I think that their input is so very valuable, but not often sought out or implemented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the exact half reason for this trip, Naomi. :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!