3/30/09

We're back


We've returned from our foray into the forests of the north and survived. It's after midnight and I didn't sleep well on the train last night so I'll just throw out these impressions of Belarus to wet your appetites (assuming anyone has hung in there through our week's hiatus).

I couldn't have been more surprised at how different 2 countries who have only been separated for less than 2 decades could be. A common language, culture and history and yet there are noticeable differences, even for a foreigner. I'll get into it more later but it really has opened by eyes to the problems which Ukraine seems to bring on itself.

The Ukrainians who went made me feel so much better about Americans abroad. For having come from a relatively dour (publicly) society, our team was every bit as goofy and embarrassing to be around as any from the States.... and I loved it.

OK, off to bed. More later.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are back. Can't wait to hear how it all went.
    But I'm glad that you are getting to better know my friends and their "true" side! I wish I could be there...soon.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!