2/1/07

Identify these quotes: Part 1 of 2

I like writing about curious news stories (see http://coloradogaws.blogspot.com/2007/01/re-posting-is-like-re-gifting-but-with.html). I am also politically minded and follow national politics closely, however, I have no intention of becoming a political blogger. Unfortunately, it is common for political issues to intrude upon the freak-show current events on which I like to comment. For those of you who keep an eye on the rarified air inside the beltway, this might be a tedious rehash. See if you can identify (or make a wild guess at) the national politician quoted.

“…I love this quote. It’s from Mahatma Gandhi. He ran a gas station down in St Louis for a couple of years.”

“You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts if you don’t have a slight Indian accent.”

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either.”

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

"This fellow here, over here with the yellow shirt, macaca, or whatever his name is. He's with my opponent. He's following us around everywhere. And it's just great,"

"My old mom told me, 'Robert, you can't go to heaven if you hate anybody.' We practice that. There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm going to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much."

If you know (or can guess) 3 of the 6 identities of the quoted speakers, you spend too much time watching the news; 4 of 6 means you listen to too much talk radio; 6 of 6 means you are freakishly addicted to internet news. See part 2 for the answers http://coloradogaws.blogspot.com/2007/02/identify-these-quotes-part-2-of-2.html

2 comments:

  1. On a semi-related note, I was listening to Senator Biden on NPR's "Fresh Air" the other day, angry about the Republican media machine's repetition of White House rhetoric, and suggesting that the Democrats have no such media machine. I find the idea laughable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely, I expect the media to repeat White House rhetoric, because....it's the White House and what they say IS news. This doesn't mean I oppose fact-checking and investigation. I challenge anyone to compare the comments of the Democratic leadership with that of the GOP. I think most fair observers would notice how the right tends to argue positions while the left is better at character assassination and it is THOSE comments that are rarely fact checked.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!