12/27/07

Christmas by Ourselves

As I know many of you have learned, Ukrainians traditionally celebrate Christmas on January 7th (a hold-over from the old Eastern Orthodox calender) so we were kind of alone in our excitement for the coming of the 25th.  The upside to this is that with a solid minority of Ukrainians moving their festivities into December and the traditional (though infrequently celebrated) Eastern Orthodox New Year on January 14th, we get a full three straight weeks of holiday cheer!  Though I worked around camp all day on the 24th and 25th, we still managed a little time Christmas morning for Campbell to open presents. 
Campbell tends to get up a bit earlier than I'd like to and Christmas morning was no exception.

Not only was he up, we was a bit energetic.

We got a little lazy with the wrapping...this is the bag his gifts came in.

And what did he get?  An $8 piece of Chinese junk police station play set to go with his cars and a Russian version of the movie Cars, or "Мачки."  Fortunately it turned out to have an English language setting - our own little Christmas miracle.

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!!! I know I'm a tad late in sending Christmas wishes for our calendar, but I figure I'm right on the money given the E. Orthodox calendar and your 'new' location.
    Looks like it was a good one! Didn't buy into the "commercial Christmas" this year! I applaud you.
    Love, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also looks like he got a bearded sleeping horse! Glue stick! This will be a Christmas you'll remember for a long time...like our first Christmas in Hawaii with absolutely nothing in the house (our stuff hadn't arrived yet) and 82 degrees outside. It was odd sitting on the floor and sleeping on the floor in an empty house, only to be capped off by seeing our neighbor in his bathing suit watering his lawn on Christmas morning. :)

    Watch out for Tottenham...we're playing some "GORGEOUS" ball right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't gotten to watch any THFC but I imagine it's been looking GOOD! You need to post some on the turnaround that Ramos is pulling for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!