12/22/07

The Long Awaited Sequel...

As promised, here is the sequel to the apartment tour.  I noticed that my commentary was pretty bad on the last one so I decided to edit it out of this one and do a voiceover during post-production.  Please let me know what you think.

For those of you who have been considering coming to visit us at the Hope Center, please understand that during the summer, the camp is not in such disarray.  We take advantage of the fall and winter to tear into things and repair them in time for the kids' arrival in June.  The vocational school students are an integral part of this process and it gives them an opportunity to utilize the materials and tools here to take an idea from their head (or the head of their instructor) and see it to fruition.  


I suppose a programs update is also called for...

Today I attended the 2 levels of English classes to further understand the way that Jenya conducts them.  We also had an opportunity to join Anya, a local teacher and camp translator/head mistress/music leader extraordinaire, on her weekly trip to a nearby orphanage.  We played games and talked with the kids as best as we could.  This was the first time that we have both gone on a project and left Campbell with Tanya and it was a great time of ministry for the two of us.  By all accounts it went well for the boy as well.  I will leave the details for Sarah to hopefully explain in her next post.

Driving is become second nature now (almost as it is in the US), though I still have to focus on their strange right-of-way ideas.  My familiarity with Kerch and it's outlying villages is rapidly improving and I can only hope that my Russian will follow suit soon.

Please pray for us to continue learning the language and that we will keep finding many areas where we can jump in to help.  I had a great meeting with Andrey (camp director) yesterday to discuss my position and involvement here.  I feel that within the next few week I will be hitting my stride.

I just noticed that this post shows that it was written by Sarah and I don't know how to change it.  It is in fact Matty.

6 comments:

  1. Great tour! You guys really captured what it's like to be walking around the Hope Center. Merry Christmas! We're praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great. I almost feel like between this video and your apartment video, that I've been there to visit. I'm amazed at how pretty the buildings are. The architecture is really cool. Love ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your prayers, KC and Merry Christmas to you and Phil. We really need them as we try to learn how to best serve in our new home.

    Kate,
    If you think the camp is pretty now, wait til spring and summer. When the flowers and trees bloom and we have everything cleaned up, it will look AMAZING! You really need to make sure you are intentional about planning your trip to visit us. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cool you can do this, isn't it? Christmas went well...it was officially the end of Christmas gift-wise as I've known it the past 29ish years. I totally scored and got a plastic donut stacker toy, blocks that only go through the same shaped holes in a bucket, and a chase and crawl toy...YES!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You scored Slicky! I got a bag of gummy bears and a liter of apple soda, Sarah got a chocolate bar and Cam got the movie Cars in Russian and a police station toy which we got for like $8 at the grocery store, Fresh Market (it's spelled in Cyrillic though).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the tour Matt! Now you just need to convince my hubby that even though we have no money, he should still let me take his daughter across the pond to come and visit! :-) Maybe her passport could have drool on her shirt like Campbells passport photo. What do you think? Oh..and Adam says hi.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!