12/13/07

We Made It! We are officially Ukrainians.

We got to Kerch at about 3pm local time (6am MST) after almost 48 hours of travel.  Most of you know about the route we took so I will try to make my trip summary short.
The first surprise occured in Denver when we walked passed a large group of kids speaking Russian.  We later learned that they were Ukrainian orphans from the Kherson Region of southern Ukraine who had been given a gift of mini-tour of the US for Christmas and would join us for the flights to Munich and then to Kiev.  A few were captivated with Campbell and were constantly plying him with chocolate and gifts.  We definitely enjoyed their company and their talent in distracting Cam during those long times sitting on planes and in airports.
Munch was as German as expected - organized and expensive.  I exchanged $40 for Euros and had just enough for 2 ham and cheese sandwiches and a pair of Fantas, which though tasty, did not constitute a $40 meal.
In Kiev we were saved by a very kind security officer who TWICE let us jump to the front of the immigration line (I didn't have the form completed correctly the first time).  We were picked up right on time by Maxim, the same person that worked with us when I was there in June.  He speaks English better than most Americans and is a heck of driver to boot.  He got us and our luggage to the grocery store and the train station perfectly while giving a pretty good tour of Kiev on the way.  We boarded our train at about 7:30pm local time and were passed out by 9.  I love those train compartments after all the flying.  With only 1 break to watch a movie in the middle of the night, we slept until 10:30 the next morning when the attendant let us know Simferopol was the next stop.
The train had barely stopped when we say Andrey Shpygunov waving at us from the platform.  After a slight detour to pick up Sergey the lifeguard (he has many other more important tasks, but this was his original job at the Hope Center and the moniker stuck), we were on our way to Kerch.
I know all of you are wondering what it's like in the "Great White North" in December.  Well, it isn't Siberia (we're not that far north) and Ukraine actually has a Mediterranean climate for the most of the year.  That said, it's pretty chilly.  Strangely, since Crimea was in the midst of a 5 months without rain last time I was here, it's actually GREENER now than it was in June.  We'll try to get some pictures of the camp up tomorrow, but until then, here are a few shots of the trip.
As a kid who likes machines more than people, Campbell was in heaven traveling by planes, trains and automobiles.
This is us in Munch posing next to the chair that hit my funny bone so hard that I couldn't feel my right hand for half an hour.
I love the feeling of disappointment these 2 shots convey..."Yeah, we're going to Ukraine!", followed by......
"No one told me they didn't have the sun here!"
How Soviet does this look?

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've made it safe and sound. We are praying for you in your new digs.

    Keep us up-to-date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you made it! Please tell Sarah we already miss her at Bible Study and to please send us her email address. I look forward to hearing more about your new home. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We MISS Kerch and our friends and life there...Thanks for putting YOUR experience on a blog so we can ive vicariously! Stop by the Central Library and speak to the director...mention Mark and Virginia Pulver...use the free Internet there (that;s what Mark did in Kerch!

    Last Christmas, we celebrated with the local Jewish community - Hanukkah coincided with Christmas...wishing you joy, paece, friends and family and time to enjoy it all!

    "Ginn"
    Virginia J Pulver
    Read our Ukraine Journals: www.pulverpages.com
    In Sunny Santa Fe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you made it safe and sound. I've been watching the weather over there and laughed when you talked about the cold and Campbell wondering where the sun went!

    We wish you all the best. Thanks for stopping by to see Jules before leaving.

    p.s. LFC rocked the house on Tuesday...it was over after the first 10 minutes with Torres scoring a quality goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are great - gives us a real feel for where you are. Praise the Lord for safety on your trip! So happy the train ride went well for you. Praying for you. Steve and Val Blomquist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea!!! I'm glad y'all are there - love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you all got there ok! The pictures remind me of everything I've seen in Russia. I cracked up at Matt in the white coat-I've had to wear the white coat a few times before as well. Maybe you can answer one question for me while you are there...In my 11 years of going to Russia I've never gotten an answer as to why all the orphanages, school buildings and camps have blue or green painted half way up the wall..What's that about? :-) Miss your family already!!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!