12/23/07

Update and Merry Christmas from Captain Mark


Here's another email update from Captain Mark complete with pictures of the Holidays in Bagdad.  I know that we are all very proud of him and his efforts in Iraq but per Mark's request, for reasons of security, please do not include his last name in your comments.  Since the vast majority of the people who will read this know Marky personally, we can stick with "Captain Mark."

Merry Christmas Friends and Family -
 
First, thank you for your support, e-mails, letters, care packages, and, most importantly, prayers.  Spirits here are high; support from home is what makes it so. 
 
Folks are probably wondering what Christmas is like here.  The Embassy has done a good job of making the holidays feel festive: decorations are up, and a small ceremony was held last week with Santa Clause, a few Iraqi children, and a choir of employees from Uganda singing Christmas songs.  Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice visited this week; we had a reunion of folks from our shared alma mater, DU.  On Christmas Day, we'll have a Christmas meal here in the Green Zone and a few hours off to enjoy it.  The real sacrifice is made by the guys at the patrol bases out in the provinces; they don't have many of these comforts.   
 
Work continues to be exceedingly rewarding.  Responsibility for Iraq is divided into regions: North, Central, West, Baghdad, etc.  I'm the prosecutor for cases originating in the area just North of Baghdad extending up to Turkey, so most of my interaction is with the Army units currently controlling this area.  As you've probably read, this is an extremely busy region.  The surge pushed most insurgents out of Baghdad/Falluja/etc. and into rural areas in this part of the country.  The Army units there are doing a fantastic job of hunting down and rounding up the core individuals behind the violence.  My recent cases have run the gamut: IED makers and operators, snipers, propaganda distributors, direct attackers, etc.  The units in these areas and I work closely together to share intelligence, track down remaining suspects, gather the appropriate evidence, and make sure wrongdoers are punished.  These guys in these units are the real heroes.
 
Lastly, as I hear of the snow in Colorado, I miss home and wish I could be there for Christmas day with the kids.  But I am well here: I've got some good friends, all my needs are met, and I have plenty of work to keep me busy. 
 
May God bless you and your families this Christmas season.  I've attached a few photos. 
 
Mark
 

2 comments:

Give me your genius!