12/9/08

To the footy haters

I'm frequently asked why it is that I've seemingly defected from traditional American sports and am now a big soccer fan.  I just caught a video that I hope will help folks understand somewhat from whence my passion has come.

In no other sport do you have the largely seamless, uninterrupted build up to feats of spectacular skill such as the one in this video.  


It would have taken some skill to catch this ball, let alone pull off the spectacularly timed ninja move that this guy does.  And let's remember that this is a normal guy playing in a little indoor league against guys in pink.

I know many of you think it's boring but it's actually the pace of the game that I have come to love.  Admittedly it takes a little time appreciate the intricacies of the ebb and flow but once you do, all that's left is picking a team.

2 comments:

  1. That's about as good as it gets!!!

    I am friend of traditional American sports, and depending on who you ask, a disproportionate enthusiasts of American fringe sports - but by golly - I love soccer, and the video you provide is just another example of why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sick! Here's my beef with other people and their supposed dislike of the sport...it's like it's cool to automatically hate the sport, despite knowing nothing about it. The instant the topic comes up, it gets shot down...but I bet that if most people actually took the time to understand it and follow it at it's highest level (i.e. not high school girl's team), they'd actually enjoy it if not appreciate it. Seriously, billions and billions of people around the world love the game...so it can't be THAT bad. It's different, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!