1/20/09

After-school special

Last week was the first week of a new program here at the Hope Center.  For lack of creativity, we call it "After School Program"... ingenious isn't it?  This program reaches out to children in disadvantaged or troubled families.  The kids start trickling in between 12 and 2pm depending on when they get out of school.  Usually they play games indoors, unless the weather permits otherwise, they are then served a hearty Ukrainian lunch of soup, bread, salad, meat, and potatoes and some hot beverage.  For some, this is the first meal of the day.  From 2:30 to 4 homework is worked on along with playtime and/or English lessons.  At 4pm we finish up with craft time and/or a large group English lesson/game.  At 5pm they grab one last snack and then head home, excited to come back the next day.  

We started with 10 kids the first day.  Although we weren't quite sure what we were doing, they LOVED it.  In fact, Jenya got a phone call from one of the girls asking if her friend could come the next day.  We ended up with 13 the second day, 18 the third day, and 22 by the fourth day.  It looks like we will have 30 total by the start of February... phew!  

They are great kids and I can already tell I'm going to be hurting when they leave in May.  Crafts have been a big hit, and they are very excited to learn English.  I've also upped the wowie factor with my mad basketball skills.  In a non-basketball culture my junior high school training can go a long way!  They found Around the World to be a fascinating game.  

The last couple of days I've been so lucky to have Sergey IceCreamakov (that's what we lovingly call him since his last name resembles the Russian word for ice cream) come translate for me and help with lesson planning.  He has been a HUGE help!

We will be starting Bible lessons soon.  We  have a few nervous families so we will be inviting them to see that we won't be doing any crazy blood rituals and/or sacrifices.  You can be praying that it goes over well.  

It's somewhat difficult trying to figure out Campbell's sleep schedule and which one of us will be able to help with the program, but we are having a great time with it.  I wish Campbell could spend more time with them, but we tried skipping the afternoon nap and we were not a happy family that day.  

Here are a few pictures.  We'll try to keep you updated as we get further into it.  Feel free to give any ideas on games, crafts, and activities.  I've taught them thumbs up 7up so far.  What was your favorite game as a kid?



1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there! My students love Silent Ball and Four corners. If you want the details email me.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!