1/13/09

Ranger Situation Update

I have known the details of this situation for a few days but I have held off on posting out of... I don't know... frustration, anger, embarrassment?

Anyway, I know that a lot of you were excited to hear from me regarding the Ranger so I figure I should share.  So we have one of the these:
It came last summer and has been involved in a customs battle since.  Andrey has tried everything he can think of to get it to clear but we keep running into the same problem... the government of Ukraine doesn't really know what to make of this vehicle.  There is not really any precedent to go by.  There is a prohibition on importing cars as humanitarian aid (ie duty free).  I knew this but figured that since we were absolutely not allowed to drive it on the road - the vehicle's paperwork even indicates this - we wouldn't have a problem.

What I didn't know was that they categorize golf carts as cars.  It appears that the glitch lies in the fact that "passenger vehicle" has a different definition here than in the US.  I would say that this term indicates a vehicle that is street-legal and carries one or more occupants.

Thus, a car is, an ATV isn't, a truck is and a motorcycle may or may not be based on how it's set up.  For them, it is irrelevant whether or not you can register a vehicle to be driven on the road.
If it's motorized and of a certain size, it is classified as a car and cars cannot be imported as aid.

Andrey said that we could actually import my pick-up for camp work without paying the fees but not the Ranger.  Seriously illogical.

So the obvious question... what now?

The Ranger is in the clink until they decide how much we owe in import fees based on the value of the vehicle.  To add insult to injury, we are accumulating storage costs at 10 Euros/day for every day they delay.

I am so thankful for all of you that helped purchase the vehicle and I don't want to belittle your gifts but I'm beginning to think this may have been a poor choice.  With the best of intentions I tried to help but now I feel like I was not a good steward of the funds that were provided or the additional funds that likely be required of us.  

Thankfully, even once we pay these costs the overall expense will be less than the retail for this vehicle in the US (due to the generous help of Polaris USA) and less than half what it would cost if we purchased it in Ukraine but I can't help think that the money could have been better spent.


3 comments:

  1. I gave you an allsome and a junk rating. the post was good but the news was junk. It is really frustrating for me so I cannot imagine how you and your coworkers must feel. I am sure the locals are used to that crap, but still agrivating.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrgg. Keep us updated on potential customs fees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear this news Matt, but be encouraged that you got the UTV this far. I'm confident that you will get it the rest of the way. For what its worth, it seemed like a good idea then, and it still remains a good idea. You guys will figure out what to do and I'm confident that those who helped you get it this far will help you get it the rest of they way.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!