1/18/09

Warning!!!

This post is not appropriate for vegans, pacifists, sensitive children and certain beloved older sisters!  Hunting-related (though not gratuitous) images will follow.

OK, I feel like I've done my part to give ample warning regarding the below content.  As many of you know, I hunted this weekend.  I had a great time and made good friends with Roman and his father Gregory.  They supplied all that I needed in the way of firearms and were very generous with anything else they felt I needed.  

These are 2 of the shotguns we used.  The over-under in the background is a handmade 12 gauge that probably cost a few shekels.  I didn't use that one at all and only used the side-by-side 16 gauge (pictured) for half the day Saturday - using an over-under 16 the rest of the time.  As you can see, this one has external hammers (a new thing for me) and both are uniquely and intricately engraved.

Here is Roman with his pheasant and the gun I used most of weekend.

You may be catching the pattern here...  Roman is awesome.  This is his male pheasant from today.  In all he took 2 rabbits and 3 pheasant in just under a day and a half.

This is me and Gregory hamming it up after I got my rabbit - I know you were all wondering if I was batting .000.  This was all I was able to get but I had a great time and was pleased with the results.

I don't want to be the guy who blames his failings on his equipment but I must explain that this both my first time with this style of shotgun and my first time hunting either of these species.  It was a lot for me to learn on the first try.  I had a horrible time getting my reflexes around the double trigger set-up.  I just couldn't transition from the first barrel to the second smoothly.  In fact, I never even attempted a follow-up shot.  I'd like to think that I would have made a better accounting of myself had I had the ol' 870 pumper with me on this one.

2 comments:

  1. Good on ya mate! I too was out huntinig these days off - albiet with my glock and hunting paper targets that look like a cross between bowling pins and silhouettes known as DEA "Q"s.

    Definately a good looking rabbit and most importantly you had a good time in the process of stalking and shooting - that is what hunting is about - and maybe some good stew to follow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a stuffed animal!!! Cheater. Just kidding.

    There's something cool about seeing you in that camo...in the Ukraine...with a gun. HOLD OFF THE KRAUTS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!