5/18/08

Shashlik and suffering for the Gospel

This is Sergey.  Some time this week he had a birthday and together with another Sergey who also had a birthday this week there was a party on Saturday.  If this seems a very odd coincidence, read this post about my first time at the banya and the prevalence of Sergeys in my circle of friends.
This is Ukraine so if it's summer (or spring, autumn or winter) and it's a celebration, it means "shashlik."  Шашлык in Russian, it is the former Soviet world's equivalent of every type of American cookout rolled into one.  You American's would probably call it shish kabobs but it is more... so much more.
In this particular case it was a backyard spread at Sergey the dentist's (the same one that polished Cam's teeth after he busted them half out) place outside of town.
I may not be Russian but digging into some tasty grilled meat is universal.
Sergey has also just finished a home banya which I believe we will frequent over the next 6 months or so.  Cam's not invited...too young for the heat.

Also, the previous post is, I believe, Campbell's first attempt at blogging.  I don't really know how it happened but it published and he is now immortalized in the blogosphere.

Can you give him a comment... perhaps interpreting what those three mysterious letters mean?

2 comments:

  1. o how jealous i am looking at the pic of the bbq!! those were my FAVORITE!! and Sergey/PAP/the dentist made the best SHASHLIK in the world!!! Whenever i went to his house he made it for me!! Their food really is amazing!!!!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shashlik is my favorite! I would chow down on it everytime I'm in Russia...so much better than shish-kabobs. I almost typed shishkaboobs..opps there it is. -Rach :-)

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!