5/19/08

Today's Annoyances

I have a few things to vent about but I'll try to keep it short.

A few days ago my dad informed me that once again our bank has frozen transactions on our debit/credit card.  This has happened no less than 4 times, DESPITE having informed them exactly where and for how long they should be expecting specific cash withdrawals.  The 2nd time this happened the ATM seized my card at the insistence of our bank and 2 months later I still haven't received a replacement.  All these issues are compounded by the fact that the 24-hour service number on the back of the card doesn't actually connect you with someone who can answer your questions or reactivate your card.  They can only give you the number of the bank itself which is decidedly not 24 hour.  Since I get paid from the main US office via direct deposit in this bank, these cards (now card, in the singular) are our only access to my salary.  This whole situation is inconceivable to me since the members of this bank (actually credit union) are almost entirely military.  How can an institution that serves the US military not understand how to deal with overseas financial transactions?  Idiots.

Next...

Last night a few very industrious individuals decided that they were much more deserving of 2 of our circular saws, a belt sander, an orbital sander, a router and a handful of other tools.  A few of them made a big ruckus at the front gate to distract our dogs and Igor from security while another one or two went over the side wall and robbed our wood shop.  Thankfully, Igor safely scared them off before they got away with more.  In a strange turn of events since I started this post, this afternoon we come across one of the saws and the belt sander in the weeds outside our wall.  I suspect they either got spooked and couldn't carry all their loot or they put them down and couldn't find them again in the tall grass.

And yet again...

Before moving here I bought some all purpose boots for tackling any rugged activity that I may come across.  I was willing to pay a bit more for quality since I would not have the ability to exchange them once we got here.  I got a pair of Asolo boots on sale for about $120.  I had heard good things about this brand and liked the look, fit and feel.  Yesterday after lovingly waxing the leather I noticed that the toe was separating bit.  Upon closer inspection I discovered that the entire front portion of sole was coming off.  I have worn these boots pretty lightly for no more than 45 day since I bought them last fall; purposing trying not to add unnecessary wear and tear.  I can't believe I paid $120 for these pieces of junk.  If I wanted cheap Chinese quality I could have bought boots here...which is what I'll probably end up doing now anyway.  Asolo, you are not my friend.

5 comments:

  1. Ouch. What a pain. Hope all improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I get the feeling that the cheap Chinese knockoffs are going to be called “Han-Solos”? May the farce be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say the word and I will punch your bank straight in the face. Perhaps it is time to have Global Action tansfer your salary into some numbered account run by the swiss, germans, or some island country like the Caymans or Mauritius. Now, those guys know how international commerce works!

    On the boots issue, I too have been hosed by a branded lable. Fine an old world cobler in your local hamlet and you'll get a pair of boots that last a lifetime. Our thoughts are with you. "Han-solos" - that's awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry you have to deal with it. I talked to mom and dad to see if I need to make a lawyerly phone call regarding your bank. Any input on your end on that? I won't dispense vigilante justice or anything, but I don't have all these letters after my name for nothin!!! May as well use them for good instead of evil!

    Love you bunches!

    T

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!