5/31/08

Super Friends

For the next few days we are hosting one portion of an orphans festival that includes a total of 1000 children from all over Ukraine and beyond.  Among this group are 4 teenagers that I must admit, have me a bit confused.  I recognized them the first time as a unit Friday afternoon when they comprised the superior 4/5 of a team in a football tournament from which they transitioned into a very good 4-man volleyball team.  It wasn't solely the fact that they are good athletes that caught my attention... it was their entire appearance and demeanor.

First, the 3 guys and 1 girl appear to have coordinated their hair styles so as to cover all possible genres.  Not being a hair stylist, I will do my best to describe them.

One guy has a bleached blond mop that, if I were a cruel person, I would describe as resembling a platinum KISS wig.  Fashionable in certain circles but very flamboyant for Kerch.

Another has an emo/80's skater cut which involves one side cropped short and then a part that brings all his bangs across his forehead and over his right eye, leading to frequent head tossing and finger-combing.  This kid also displayed his skill as a breakdancer last night at the bonfire.

The third guy has what I guess would be called a Euro-mullet which is common for Ukraine, Eastern Europe and footballers of all stripes.  It is basically the standard "business in the front; party in the back" type cut but with longer bangs and not so long a tail.

The girl, almost in defiance of the other 3 has a simple tomboy ponytail.  I would also guess that she was hands-down the toughest of the 4.


Secondly, they all wore full sporting uniforms; jerseys, shorts and socks.  Even down to the goalie wearing gloves.  Here's the twist...they were all different uniforms.  I know they are from the same orphanage and play sports together.  Generally when this happens the kids are proud to all show up at the game in matching unis (or as close as they can get).  Not these 4.

So let me paint you a picture...

I have 4 young people who are undeniably a team.  They all have a certain "look"; rocker, skater, athlete, tomboy.  They all have a pre-determined color that they wear as a uniform.  They are talented, clever and not unattractive kids.  What have we got?

Power Rangers, right?  Or I guess to be more culturally accurate, since Ranger is a more western idea, Mighty Morphin Power Cossacks.  

This was all I could think about when we were playing them at volleyball.  When will they get the call and have to jet off to save the planet?

3 comments:

  1. pictures please!!!!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I haven't read your blog in a couple weeks, was sad to hear you lost all the pics.Happened to us back in '04(Ross's track and soccer,when our twin granddaughters were babies, family vacation).Now I have a mybook,Casey does too,so we put all my pics and her pics on both mybooks plus the computers,so hopefully we'll never lose them again.At least I still have video of those times. Also sorry to hear Matt was under the weather.I'll be praying you all stay healthy.Oh, also liked the story about the Power Rangers,I remember those days.Take care, Max

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think that pictures would be much enjoyed by all of us who have created an image of the Super-Friends in our minds.....

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!