1/13/08

Happy Birthday Dad!



So today is my dad's birthday and it's time for another tribute.  Earlier today Matt and I listened to a very good podcast by Donald Miller (speaking at Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids Nov 11th).  I highly recommend listening to it.  In one part of his message he talks about our life story and whether or not it would make a good movie.  What makes a great hero is someone you can respect... someone who proves themselves in the midst of hardship... someone who doesn't have the perfect life but puts others before themselves.  This got me thinking about my dad's story.  He'd make a great hero.  He's faced many battles in his life and proven himself faithful to his family and to his God.  At the time it probably seemed monotonous and boring, but my dad was faithful to bring home a paycheck so we could eat and have a house over our head.  Sometimes this included driving 3 hours a day to get to and from work, and sometimes it meant staying with grandma during the week and coming home to us on the weekends.  My dad always made sure we knew right from wrong and probably saved us from more than we realize by pointing out the lies that the enemy tries to get us to buy into.  He has always been faithful to his wife and to us as a family saving us from all kinds of hurt and pain that so many families go through.  I have fond memories of my dad bringing home salted bagels, bottled soda, a rented VCR and movies for a fun family night.  My dad has instilled the value of family traditions (although we've messed that all up with spreading out across the country and now world) which will now pass on to many generations.  Thanks dad for being the hero in our family.  I see so many broken families and think what a blessing it has been to have grown up in the stable and (not perfect) but very loving family we have.  I attribute that to you and mom following in God's lead.  Now that my dad is a grandpa and "retired" we've gotten to see a very fun side of him.  We love going down in grandpa's basement to play pool, ping pong, and air hockey!  Thanks again dad for giving your life up for us... many other people could say the same and that's a great legacy to leave.  We love you so very much and wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sarah,
    As through all my life with you
    I am very proud to be your dad and
    love you loads. That was a great
    tribute. Wish you weren't half way
    around the world...but that's where
    you need to be when God puts you there.
    Loads of love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!