1/10/08

I like to share my shortcomings

Recently Sarah and I had been feeling like our apartment was getting colder - despite the heaters being maxed - as the weeks went by but suspected that it was due to the lowering of outdoor temperatures and was unavoidable.  This prompted us to double up on Cam's pj's at night and Sarah to start crocheting a blanket for our bed.  We had sort of despaired of ever feeling comfortable until April by the time our camp jack-of-all-trades Yuri came by yesterday for a routine cleaning of the heater filters (a job that I really should have done earlier).

As it turns out, there is a deep secret to HVAC...no air IN means no HOT air OUT!  After about 10 minutes we had to turn the thermostat down and have been doing so incrementally for the past day and a half.  Just thought you might like to know that usually the most obvious answer is the right one...

6 comments:

  1. I hope Rachel doesn't read this post, or tomorrow I'll wake up with duct tape over my mouth and a clothes pin pinching my nose.

    Hope y'all are doing well. We've appreciated the updates and we're praying for you.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey the only way we learn is through are mistakes.
    Here is three tips for plumbing 1. Crap runs down hill 2. Pay day is on Friday 3. NEVER bit your nails. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, thank God for Yuri, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn right, thank God for Yuri! I am sitting here at midnight wearing no shirt...it's like a tropical paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness for thermals (I recommend the silk ones!)!! I wore about six layers ALL the time until about April. One winter in Kerch, we went without heat (and water)for many days during the coldest winter in fifty years...they were serving vodka shots to the elephants in the zoo to hel them battle the cold! Childen from central Ukraine were put on the train and sent to Crimea where they lived in schools because they had no heat up north, but frankly it was bitterly cold in Crimea too! The strait froze and peope could almost walk out to the island. Like your wife, I took up needlework - I knit lots of scarves, hats and afghans! 8-)

    Life is good...love keeps you warm!

    "Ginn"
    Kerch, Ukraine 2005-2007
    www.pulverpages.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...Vodka shots to elephants? That explains a lot. I think next time you should try that on Campbell. Thanks for the tip...I'm going to go see if I have cat hair in our heater (or if we even have a filter cause I don't know). :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!