1/4/08

Happy Birthday Grandma!

We can't be in Michigan to celebrate my mom's birthday today so I thought we'd pay a tribute to her.  I'm told that when I was Campbell's age, this is where I was most of the time... in my mom's arms.  She is probably the most compassionate, hospitable, and caring person I know.  My mom didn't have a glorious job that paid her lots of money or gave her respect from the outside world, but every one of her 5 children will say she is the best at what she did and does... being a mom and grandma. 

Here's just a glimpse of her unending resume: 
  • have snack ready when kids get home from school 
  • be available to bring forgotten lunches, books, etc. to school 
  • go to all of kids boring sporting events (even if half of the time she is sitting on the bench)
  • have a strong stomach while cleaning out some nasty looking wounds (even on dad) and yet treat with care
  • pray for kids and read Bible every morning
  • give the best back scratches
  • pamper whining kids when sick and make tomato soup and grilled cheese when feeling better
  • save up extra money (of her own) so that special jacket, backpack, or treat from Burger King can be had
  • never be fooled by anything and always use a strong hand for spanking (okay maybe that's not such a fond memory but it sure made me respect her)
  • keep your cool when kids are screaming and throwing tantrums
  • have no mercy when hiding Easter eggs
  • make every birthday and holiday special with tons of decorations, food, and lots of holiday spirit (I sure missed that this year)
  • treat son-in-law like one of your own
  • drive hours upon hours to help out with arrival of grandchildren (#14 on the way - no not Matt and I) and help with moves
  • spoil grandchildren with with LOTS of love and special attention (and don't forget special toys and yummy food)
  • support children  with prayer and encouragement when God moves them out of state and nearly half way across the world
  • and always Always ALWAYS be willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING (sometimes even Mother's Day)
I'm sure my siblings could add a million others.  I wish more than anything Campbell could grow up next to Grandma... he is certainly missing out... but for now this is the sacrifice God has asked us to make.  And if there is one thing my mom has taught me it's to follow God's commands. Her life has demonstrated how God will bless an obedient and faithful heart.  So Happy Birthday Mom/Grandma!  We wish we could be there to give you a great big hug and kiss.  We love you so very much!
Matt, Sarah, and Campbell

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your wonderful
    Birthday Tribute. I Love and miss
    you so very much. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, sarah, that's exodus 20:12 in action if i've ever seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's one of the best, Sarah! Thanks for your heartfelt entry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww happy birthday! i second everything Sarah wrote, and I'm not even family. Mama Wright, you've always treated me as a member of your family and some of my favorite memories took place at your house. You are a wonderful role model, and the epitome of a Godly woman. I love you!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!