1/29/08

Why I Went to College... (and Big Igor)

I spent most of my working life prior to college doing manual labor.  I started by pulling down the glamourous gig of whipping-boy at a fencing (not dealing in stolen goods) company right out of high school.  Not only did I recieve the adoration commensurate with such a position, I also earned the princely wage of $4.25/hour, cash money - more than $2 below the minimum wage in those days.  Since then, I've also been fortunate enough to land such empire-building jobs as industrial painter's assistant, popcorn boy at a movie theater, warehouse chump, temporary laborer, and landscaper (with an incongruous stint as a part-time receptionist) until I lowered myself to accepting a degree in history from the University of Colorado @ Colorado Springs.

I took that supposedly valuable piece of card stock and moved into my second attempt as a warehouseman with Global Action.  Despite being forced into the office (I'm taking artistic license with facts here) for some period, I have finally returned to my first love...digging ditches.
We needed to run about 60 meters worth of 30-inch deep trench to lay electrical cable for 2 new outdoor lights in a dark corner of camp.  The real trick was the rather substantial tree (and the accompanying roots) that stood exactly between the two new light posts.  Everyone here is perplexed by my Lenco West coveralls that say Tim on the pocket, but I know they're just jealous.


All the boys were on the job this week.



Campbell gets to come out and play with the guys sometimes.  Today he was frustrated to discover that neither his drill nor his wrench would be very useful in our particular task.




This is unfortunately the last day that I will be able to work with my buddy Igor.  Tomorrow I will be taking him with me to Simferopol when I pick up Sarah's and my dads.  He is moving back there to take an HVAC job and be closer to his girlfriend.  He was given the nickname Hercules by work team members due to his truly amazing physical strength and he's not a bad shot with a pellet gun either!  I'll miss you, мои друг.

9 comments:

  1. Boy are dad and Art getting there at the right time! Good luck Igor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your dad yesterday, and I hope he and Art have a great trip over there! I miss you...not crying here in my office (mostly because there's windows where people might see).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'll pass your well wishes along to Igor and give the dads big hugs from all their American pals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a history major and all, you'll probably know that "it don't mean a thing if ain't got that swing"...ok, I added the last part about the swing. It should read "if ain't written down".

    So, here's a suggestion for you (the kind that's a really good idea but that you never "get to").

    Print out every blog, leading up to and during your time in the Ukraine and put it in a binder. 10years from now you'll be really glad you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say this now because you're not too far into it...so you can catch up quickly and then only print one at a time. Or...keep it all in a Word document (including the pictures) as you go and print it out when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you saying that Blogger will not last like the Roman Coliseum? I guess only the things that you don't want to last forever will do so on the internet, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, like those pictures from college!

    (joking)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unlike the rest of you heathens, I was an older, responsible, tee-totaling citizen by the time I finally got around to college. I was also either engaged or married for half of that time. There are no embarrassing college pics of this kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I am fairly certain that I have enough of those pics for all the kids in our family. Tragically, they had very little to do with alcohol, and mostly just to do with the fact that I am always photographed in the middle of some awkward fall or something of that nature....

    On a side note, apparently there is some program that will turn your blog into a scrapbook. Courtney Smith was telling me about it at Dorian's birthday the other night (Steve and Phil say hello by the way). I will look into it further if you would like.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!