1/14/08

Walk on the Ocean

As a total non-sequitur, I have been trying to ascertain what topics draw people to our blog lately and using a semi-popular song title as the headline for a post seems as good a method as any (thus far my main successes have been the use of a Mexican flag and the Barclays Premier League logo).


On to the main topic....


Sunday the weather finally broke here in Kerch and the mercury hit a balmy +12 C which is mid-40s F.  After an extended stretch of highs in the teens, this seemed like paradise.  We decided to take a walk down by the sea, which we knew was still frozen.  It seemed that we weren't the only ones with this thought and for the first time since we arrived, we heard people laughing and joking in public!  We got a chance to walk on frozen salt water (not that common in Colorado) and get a few pictures as the sun set behind the hills.  Strangely, the ships still navigate the strait (I don't yet know if it remains clear in the middle or they must break through the ice) and the growl of their diesels could be heard reverberating across the miles of ice.  Here's a few shots of our short-lived day at the beach.



Sarah just loved how the sea water froze with such unique patterns.


Cam didn't look at excited as I'm sure he felt.


This is easily the most romantic image that I have of Kerch to date.  You can't tell but the couple are holding hands and seem quite infatuated.


This is just funny cause it looks like their dancing.

7 comments:

  1. Hello....I just did a quick google search on "Colorado missionary family takes walk on frozen sea in the Ukraine" because I was looking for some pictures on the subject and stumbled across your blog. I think your blog is fantastic! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics of God's creation. God bless you as you serve God and his children! - Gilbert, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non-sequitur? Totally sequitur.

    ...step on the stone
    flesh becomes water
    wood becomes bone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,
    I was very suprised that i say my own bay area on your blog. I live to be precisely 500 yards from there. I live there in our nice house on Ordjinikdze street.
    Tjee...nice to know that we have some company around in Kerch..email me....robert.wijnands2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another note of me...i see colorado family.....we are from Holland. The little country with the famous windmills and dutch cheese and wooden shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert,
    Thanks for the comment...I'll send you an email tomorrow.

    I don't think that my fellow blogger friends back in the US will believe that I got a comment from Dutchman living in Kerch (we sometimes fake comments to make it seem like our posts are more interesting than they really are), but it's true!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The world is small,and mother nature just led me meet a nice girl from kerch, and because the tax-climate was getting to bad in Holland, i thought a new life in Kerch with a very sweet wife would be the best option. I live here since 2004. And i love it..and..with e-commerce you can work everywhere..hihi

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!