1/30/08

Happy Birthday Mimi!

As has been our recent tradition, all grandparents get a little homage on their birthday and Mimi is no exception.  We go back a long way, she and I.  The earliest memory that I can recall off-hand is running home with her in my bare feet after having tripped during a walk to the elementary school.  I can still remember that though I ground off half of my face on the sidewalk, she seemed decidedly more upset than I felt.  This is what characterizes my life with my mom - compassion, empathy and sensitivity.  Even when I needed discipline, I always knew that it was a task that she loathed, but must do.  Despite my reputation (I assume), I inherited or learned much of this sensitivity (whether I wanted it or not).

Even with a touch of her in me, I still found it odd how emotional my mom could be about things that seemingly had no impact on her personally.  Over the years, I've come to realize that it is her gift.  She may have as close to the heart of Christ as I've ever seen in a human.  She unselfishly rejoices with strangers, she hurts for distant pain and she weeps for the injustice in this fallen world.  She feels EVERYTHING so much more intensely than I do and I love her for that.  If you have ever met my mom, you know this is true.

Ukraine is country where people can seem pretty cold in public (by American standards and I cannot wait for her to come visit.  The contrast will be so stark as she positively beams the love of Christ from her like a beacon.  They won't be able to resist her charm, her smile, her servant's heart or her giving spirit.

I love you Mommy, see you soon!

2 comments:

  1. So true...in a lot of ways she was a second mother to me (and many others) growing up. Happy Birthday Mom #2! You helped raise a lot more than 3 children!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!