7/26/08

Crimean Plagues

Camp 3 is over but I thought I might backtrack and post about one of the defining aspects of the time.  It was these little guys.It's difficult to give context to their size, but I assure you that these are no regular grasshoppers.  A few days before the start of 3rd camp, a plague of locusts descended on Kerch in numbers that shocked even the long-term locals.  I neglected to get a good picture of it this morning but they normally are in bundles of 10 or 15 on most surfaces every morning.  They make a heck of a racket and love to fly around aimlessly only to end up on your head or shirt.  Nary a meal goes by without some dive-bombing or under-the-table sneak attack and forget about walking through the grass.  Mowing the lawn is like insect genocide.

It's truly an annoyance of Biblical proportions.  I guess the only question for this camp is whether it will be frogs or the waters turning to blood.....

1 comment:

  1. We always liked to call them Tex, because in comparison to what we were use to they are the size of Texas. But the biggest I've seen was 3 1/2 - 4 inches long. Hopefully you will have them all gone before I get there.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!