7/11/08

Interesting Bible verse

I just caught a post at SLC that put these 2 verses side by side.

First, the more commonly known:
"Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourself.  I am the Lord."
Leviticus 19:28

Now for one of which I had not been a aware:
"On his robe and on his thigh he has his name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS."
Revelation 19:16
This was in reference to Christ Himself returning in glory.

Any thoughts on this one?  Are we tattooed folks reading too much into this or are the anti-tattoo crowd cherry-picking the regulation-laden book of Leviticus?

5 comments:

  1. I just think it interesting that the verse you said is more commonly known, is the one I have never heard of before. But the second in Revelation I have heard many times.

    As for cherry-picking. I think that any single verse pulled out of context is cherry-picking. And a "great" way to distort the message of God to his people.

    As for the Torah. Some one once explained it to me this way. The Law was written to show us how it is impossible for us to get to Heaven on our own. The Law is put in place to point us to Jesus and our need for him. For it is impossible to keep every letter of the Law as it is written.

    That is not that we should disregard the Torah, for there is much to be learned about Our God through it. But it (as well as anything we read) deffinately needs to be read in the context of which it was written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi,
    Maybe I should say that it's the one that always gets thrown in my face. I guess it might just well known to the inked Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always understood the passage to be refering to not tattooing yourself for the dead. have you read it in various translations? that may help clarify. maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking that your screwed you have ink and you just cut your self...... well maybe your 50/50 I don't know was the log dead of living. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am falling out at Marshall's comment. It was the forestry/sandals combination that has sealed your refusal from heaven. I hope you're happy now....

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!