7/27/08

Summer Interns

This is a tribute to our two interns this summer... Tommy and Judith. 

I'll start with Tommy since he was the first we met and also the first to leave us.  Tommy couldn't have come at a better time for Matt and I.  I don't think we realized how much we were missing our friends and in need of a spiritual jump start until he came.  His sense of humor clicked with ours and it felt like one of our long lost friends had come to visit.  Plus we had a few theological discussions that felt refreshing after having 7 months of bedside services.  

But even more than ministering to us, it was exciting to see how God was using Tommy here with the kids.  Since our first communication with Tommy, he's stated that his mission is to demonstrate love... "because without love I am nothing" (I Corinthians 13).  It's one thing to hear someone profess this, but it's another to see it in action.  It is the greatest asset that any one team member or intern can add to these camps.  These kids are in desperate need of someone showing them real love... Christ's love.  God can change lives with a simple hug and "I love you"... we've seen it here.  Although we all fall short on that often, the kids saw it clearly through Tommy.   

We were very sad to see Tommy go and miss him already, but we are trusting that God has it in his plan to send him back next year.

(This picture says it all)

And now to Judith...  

Judith came with camp 3 as well but was thrown into this weird mix of being a team member and intern.  We asked Judith to do things that were pretty uncomfortable for her... like praying in front of 100 strangers for the first time, and dancing and singing up front to Russian songs she's never heard of before.  I know this stretched her quite a bit, but already I can see how God is growing her and giving her more confidence everyday as she is now our only intern.  She brings such a sweet spirit that the kids adore.  Being around Judith is very calming... something that is certainly needed when doing back to back camps!  I love having her around!
God has blessed us with two Timothys this summer.  I wish I could keep them year round!  But God never fails in providing what we need... or showing us what those hidden needs are while being blessed!  

(disclaimer on pics... you can pretty much consider all pictures stolen from other people as we've stopped taking pictures all together.  As it is we get anywhere from 1500 to 3000 pictures a camp... so who knows who the actual photographer is... sorry to all you professional buffs)

3 comments:

  1. Is this Tommy of the blog world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. He's finishing up his travels in ukraine and will soon be back in CA. Maybe he'll write more when he has consistent internet access.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe I will :)

    I thank you for that. Mom really wanted me to see it :)

    Hope the pictures and the gift made it to ya'll. I'm praying for you always. I love you, Gaw clan.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!