7/19/08

I wish you could have all been here...

So this morning, much to my surprise, Campbell began to show off the Russian that he's been absorbing for the last 6 months.  At morning exercises for the campers, as we were counting for our stretches, he began to count along.  I didn't even realize that he had observed people doing this enough to have figured it out, but there he was counting 1 through 8 just as clearly as in English.  This follows his having begun singing along and doing his version of the motions that go with our Bible story songs earlier this week.

He has said Russian words here and there for a while now but this is the first time that he appears to be actually using them within context; not just regurgitating the words that we tell him to say.  We were a bit worried that the multi-lingual environment (don't forget that some folks actually do speak Ukrainian sometimes) would delay his speech until he could figure out what was what, but he seems to be making progress quicker in recent weeks.

Just thought you might be interested to hear how the boy's doing.

1 comment:

  1. Awww my little man is already better at Russian than me, and I have been learning it for 7 years!

    Thanks for the story!!

    T

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!