8/2/08

Bring on the footy

Despite Sarry's insistence that red and orange don't match (come on... they're on the same side of the color wheel, right?) I am jacked for the upcoming football season.
For the uninitiated, these means competitions on 3 fronts: 

1. England - Obviously the league games are the primary draw but there are also the FA Cup and Carling Cup.  Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is notorious for sitting top players during these domestic competitions.  The Reds just busted up Scottish giant Rangers FC this week with some of their newest signings showing some good stuff.

2.  Ukraine - Shaktar Donetsk will be playing Tavria Simferopol (the nearest 1st division club to Kerch) on November 8th and I am very eager to make that game.  Ukraine's most successful club, Dynamo Kiev, will be there 2 weeks earlier and I may try to make the double.

3.  Champions League - Liverpool goes directly to the 3rd round of qualifying by way of their 4th place PL finish.  Shaktar will also show up in this round based on their Ukrainian PL title last year.  Theoretically my 2 chosen teams could meet in this competition but I will have no problem cheering for Liverpool over Shaktar.

4 comments:

  1. Um, I'm going to have to go with Sarah on the orange/red matching thing, but you do look like a very fierce fan, so I wish the best for your teams meeting up. That happened to me last year, when my childhood favorites the Boston Red Sox played the Rockies in the World Series. I found I could easily back the Rockies, and that much of my love for the Sox disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. American Football is starting up here soon, and I to clamor for the action of local teams - Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado State. All perrenial "we don't suck that bad" teams. Anyway, Matt good luck on the coming season, and if you're catching a good amound of games, don't forget to stock up on road flares...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget this also means a rise in hubcap thefts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I say that when "matching" team colors, the color wheel is completely disregarded.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!