8/21/08

Sad day

We took our last team back to the airport in Simferopol today.  It represented the official end of the camp season and last American visitors for quite some time - though most of this team was actually British.  We had a great few days with them following the end of camps and I actually volunteered to ride along on the 7 hour round trip to the airport.  They were fun, engaging and had a real intellectual curiosity about Ukraine and it's people.
To make matters worse, we also had to say goodbye to our intern/next door neighbor Judith.  She's been a staple of our lives for the last 6 weeks and we hate to see her go.  She has promised that if at all possible she will return as soon as she can.
The last strange aspect of the day was seeing this girl at the airport.
This is Lena.  She was my favorite kid from last summer but was unable to make it to camp this year.  It's hard to see from this angle but she is really little, thus I was surprised to learn that she will be 15 in a few weeks meaning that she is outside the age-range for campers now.  In reviewing the post I linked to above, I see that I guessed she was only 10 last year... way off.  Tanya said that she really wants to volunteer here so maybe she'll be around next year.

1 comment:

Give me your genius!