8/14/08

I like petting zoos

Just before dinner today Andrey asked me if I would join him to help with an aid distribution and shoot some pictures (which are always needed for reporting to our aid supplier).  I agreed and threw on a GA shirt for good measure.  Our load was 3 beds and 2 boxes of clothes, all to be taken in our hatchback camp Chevy.  In order for the beds to fit, we had to move both front seats all the way up with their backs leaning almost forward.  I literally almost had to get out of the seat in order to flip down the sun visor.

The folks were great and we were pleased to have a chance to help them.  The woman was already sporting one of our electric wheelchairs.

As you look at the gate and the beds we delivered, you can't tell that directly behind me is....

...the yard of the little internaut.  These are the little hellions from an earlier camp and the entire time we were there they chanted my name or "idi suda"(come here!).  I don't use that term lightly; the boy on the far left is Artem, who I personally witnessed assaulting 2 boys, 1 girl and a counselor within a span of 4 minutes.  They clamored against the fence, forcing their filthy little hands (dirty not because they are orphans but because they are 8 years old and playing in the dirt) through the gaps I am sure they have created by years of escape attempts.  It was like an Amazonian petting zoo where all the monkeys, ocelots and alligators know your name.  After 15 or so minutes we bade the family farewell and stepped over to the fence to say hi.  The boys rewarded us with 2 of the most interesting gifts I have ever received...

...a flattened beer bottle top and a napkin which Artem assured me smelled "tasty."  Yeah that's right, a beer top beaten flat by a rock (internaut arts and crafts) and a uniquely smelly napkin... you gotta love that, right?

1 comment:

  1. It's going to take me a hot minute to figure out what I think about all that.....

    The good news is I love you and it's almost your birthday! I love that you are in the 30's with me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!