8/8/08

Scary Orphan Statistics for Ukraine

The other day we were going to the sea with the Shpygunovs and the topic turned to the status of what I guess would be called "post-institutional orphans".  These are children who have been through the orphanage system and have graduated, but are still technically the responsibility of the state.  Even though they have left the orphanage, theoretically the bureaucracy still must care for them until their 18th birthday; finding them housing and assuring that they are provided for.  Unfortunately this is not the case.

The past 2 years we have been a part of a nationwide orphan festival in the spring which shines light on the plight of orphans and encourages Ukrainians to be proactive in caring for these children in their midst.  It is all overseen by an organization in Kiev who work full-time in this arena.  As part of their efforts they commissioned a survey of orphans aged 18-22 in Kiev and the surrounding areas.  They checked in on 3500 young folks and even they were startled by the statistics.  The numbers were so dire that the Ukrainian government - very sensitive to negative publicity as they work towards EU membership - has banned them from making them public.  Since I am not constrained by this ban (and my blog isn't exactly CNN) I wanted to share a few:

-the suicide rate is 10%

-70% of the females are or have been involved in prostitution.

-60% of males are or have been in jail

Tanya couldn't remember the exact rates on drug and alcohol abuse but recalled that it was at least a plurality on the former and sizable majority for the latter.  Seriously, the drab, loveless orphanages where these kids grow up are nothing compared to the horrors of joining the real world after they leave.

4 comments:

  1. Very sobering. I have taught with some families very involved with teenage foster care here in the U.S., and I imagine the statistics are similar. Too often our image of orphans/foster care kids involves cute little babies, neglecting the transitional years. Thank you for reporting this--I hope the Ukrainian gov't. does something more than hide the statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lived in Ukraine for 9 years and worked with street children six years and the statistics you post are pretty much consistent with what I have heard over the years. It is very hard to get accurate statistics on these children in Ukraine.

    Thank you for your work with these children. It is hard work but it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray the work you are doing along with Global Action will change the statistics of the hundreds of children impacted by this ministry. More servants are needed to team up with you to assist in making a difference in these children's lives.

    I just returned with my 2 daughters afters spending 2 weeks at the Hope Center. I ask myself after a trip like this, what difference can I really make? The statitics are so troubling, the need is so overwhelming, I don't know where to even begin. Yet the Lord keeps putting in my heart, to start by making a difference in just 1 or 2 or 3. In other words, I can't start with trying to make a difference with 1000 kids, but I certainly can start with a few, and go from there.

    And just think, how much can this be compounded, if others can join alongside and do the same thing. I don't want to just say to Matt you are doing a good work, I want to assist in making a difference as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do aid work with orphanages in Ukraine and would like to contact you by email. These statistics are so interesting to me, and I would like to follow up with you. Could you please email me? operationukraine@hotmail.com

    - Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!